Early 19th century with circa 1910 additions. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse with single storey, single bay recessed wings to flanks; later gabled addition to rear. Coursed whinstone with painted stone dressings and long and short quoins.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central doorway with painted margins and later multi-paned timber and glazing door; window to each flank. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed bays; bipartite attic dormer surmounting. To flanks of main house, recessed single storey, piend-roof wings with centrally placed tripartite window.
NW ELEVATION: side wall of main house with later window to 1st floor left. Blind end of recessed single storey wing adjoining to left and centre of main house's ground floor; piend roof extension adjoining to left return (see NE ELEVATION).
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: rear of main house with small window to half storey left; partially concealed to centre and right by later gabled extension: single window to ground floor right; 2 regularly placed bays to 1st floor; adjoining wing extension to right return; to left return, single window to ground floor right. Single storey, 2-bay lean-to porch in re-entrant angle with regularly placed window and timber boarded door. To left flank, rear of single storey wing with steps leading to 2-leaf semi-glazed timber door. To right flank, piended rear addition to single storey wing with timber door to left and window to right.
SE ELEVATION: single window to left of both floors of main house, 1st floor window blind. Blind end of recessed single storey wing adjoining to centre and right of ground floor.
7-pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevations; divided 6-pane upper sash and plate glass lower sash; 3-pane side lights to windows in wings. To NE and NW elevations, later windows comprising of timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Cast-iron 2-pane Carron lights to rear extension roof. Flat-roofed bipartite attic dormer with slated cheeks to centre of main elevation. Piended blue grey slate roof with lead ridging and flashings to main house and wings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Tall rubble wallhead stacks with ashlar long and short quoins and banded neck copes to centre of side elevations with decorative cans; gablehead stack of similar design to rear elevation.
INTERIOR: period woodwork surviving, such as panelled doors, skirtings and panelled window shutters.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group with Winkston Tower (listed separately). The name of the tower and farm is taken from the Anglo-Norman settlers Wink, or Vink, who originally had the property. In 1536, the Dikesons (later Dickson) owned the lands, with William Dickson, a Peebles burgess, believed to have had the tower house built. The property changed hands many times. A John Little, tenant in Foulage was noted; it then passed to Adam Little, and by 1767 Stevenson of Smithfield. The property was not in a good state of repair and little had been done to the lands. In 1792 the lands were ' mostly in a state of nature' and for sale via public advertisement. The estate was bought by John Anstruther of Airdet who is likely to have had the farmhouse built. He passed it to his grandson Major John Anstruther Macgowan, who died leading a party of 93rd Highlanders at Sebastopol. The heirs sold the estate in 1857 to the London artist Robert Thorburn for ?7800. This farmhouse stands immediately in front of the tower house (listed separately). Originally, the house comprised of the main block with the single storey wings flanking. Circa 1910, nearly a century later, a gabled extension and small lean-tos were added to the rear of the property completing the plan we see now. To the front and side of the property is a well preserved painted cast-iron fence and pedestrian gates; also of interest are the Peebles lamp standards, possibly from Peebles Station. Listed as a good example of an early 19th century Borders farmhouse.
J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 - Edinburgh) for Winkston. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) showing tower house and farm steading. W Chambers, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (18**) p327. RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1961) Inv. 535: plan, fig.266; illustrations 52 B, C, D & E.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WINKSTON FARM HOUSE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 18/04/2019 13:30