Circa 1807 for Thomas Young. Plain rectangular-plan walled garden with pedestrian and cart entrances; integral 2-storey, single bay garden building (now garden store) near SE angle. Coursed whinstone walls with flat tooled edge stone copes and buttressed retaining walls to SW and SE angles. Sandstone ashlar quoins around doorway.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: plain coursed whinstone rubble wall with flat stone copes following contour of hillside; squared entrance to left with tooled sandstone quoins and droved margins, decorative wrought-iron gate with fleur-de-lis detail to top rails and dog bars; ring handle and latch.
E ELEVATION: plain coursed whinstone rubble wall with flat stone copes following contour of hillside. To extreme left, 2-storey square
GARDEN STORE (TO LEFT OF E ELEVATION): 2-storey, single bay, garden store projecting from E wall. To E elevation, cruciform window to ground floor, upper of elevation concealed by holly tree; to left and right returns, central segmental-arched window close to eaves flanked by small blind oculi. W elevation within garden comprising: to ground floor, plain boarded timber door off centre right and central segmental-arched window close to eaves flanked by small blind oculi. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, down pipe to left of E elevation.
S (PEND) ELEVATION: plain coursed whinstone rubble wall with flat stone copes following contour of hillside; segmental-arched pend off centre left with squared whinstone voussoirs. Adjacent to stream, plain buttress wall supporting SW angle, decorative pyramidal finial now missing. To SE angle (adjacent to stream) matching buttress wall with decorative pyramidal finial.
W ELEVATION: plain coursed whinstone rubble wall with flat stone copes following contour of hillside; carved stone head (of uncertain date and origin, possibly 17th or 18th century) built into wall for preservation.
INTERIOR: covered well near centre of green, surrounded by stone flags with later painted cast-iron pump; various stone troughs within garden boundary. To exterior of garden, later millstones lying near gardener's store: interior plain and in use as store.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of a B-Group with Rosetta, Stables and Lodge. Rosetta is a small mansion house standing to the north of Peebles. Set within wooded grounds, now a caravan park, the walled garden and stables (listed separately) are part of the contemporary estate buildings that compliment the house. Originally, the estate was known as Acrefield. The new house, Rosetta, was erected for Thomas Young, a military surgeon. He had been on the Egyptian expedition led by Sir Ralph Abercromby who, after the capture of Alexandria in 1801, had secured the Rosetta Stone for Britain. A plaster copy of the stone is built into the entrance lobby of the house. This walled garden (to the SW of the house) has a pedestrian entrance with a decorative wrought-iron gate in the wall nearest the house. Horses and carts could be admitted through the pend in the S wall. In the SE corner, built into the wall, is a 2-storey garden store that overlooks the interior of the walled garden and over the surrounding parkland; in the past, it may have been in use as a gazebo - the upper floor used as a view point over the landscape. The centre of the garden still contains the old well, with its later iron pump still in situ, a heavy stone flagged area surrounds it. A carved stone head (origin and age unknown) is built into the W wall. The house, stables and walled garden have remained relatively unaltered since they were built and are listed as good examples of early 19th century estate buildings.