1807 for Thomas Young. 2-storey with attic and basement, 3-bay rectangular-plan country mansion with slightly advanced central entrance bay; central bowed bay to rear and later single storey bowed and stilted outshoot. Whinstone rubble with dressed sandstone ashlar tabbed margins and long and short quoins. String course at ground floor; mutuled eaves course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: essentially 2-storey, 3-bay on basement with slightly projecting central bay with pediment surmounting. 6 stone steps leading to pilastered door surround supporting entablature, 2-leaf timber entrance door (with 5-light glazed fanlight) leading to semi-glazed panelled inner door; window to outer bays. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed bays; triangular pediment rising above central bay forming attic with elliptical window in tympanum. To basement, window to outer bays, central bay concealed by entrance steps but boarded door within right return. Inset ashlar ogee curved wing walls form passage to front of basement; wrought-iron railings with fleur-de-lis and pinecone heads surmount wall and follow line of wall and flank stairs of ground floor entrance, stone obelisk terminating piers to outer of railings with wrought-iron urns surmounting.
N ELEVATION: 2 regularly placed bays to each floor; two diagonally placed 2-pane Carron lights to attic. Inset retaining wall forming passage at basement level accessed by flight of ashlar steps to right of elevation.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: essentially 3-bay with regular fenestration to basement, ground and 1st floor on outer bays; tripartite windows to central bay of upper floors (glazed middle light, outer lights blind) contained within a projecting bow rising into crenellated wallhead; smaller windows to returns of basement bow. Later single storey, semicircular ended outshoot to right re-entrant angle of central bow at ground floor level, resting on retaining garden wall; windows to end and right return; crenellated wallhead. Door directly below offshoot at basement level.
S ELEVATION: 2 regularly placed bays to each floor. Inset retaining wall forming passage at basement level accessed by flight of ashlar steps to left of elevation.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; 8-pane windows to later stilted offshoot. 2-pane cast-iron Carron lights to N elevation of attic with further roof light partially concealed by castellated bow. Piended grey slate roof to outer bays, pitched roof to rear of central bay behind castellated bow; lead ridging to all with slates forming flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Paired ashlar roofline stacks flanking central bay with plain neck copes and 6 plain cans each.
INTERIOR: central lobby with timber panelled door leading to dining room (left) and drawing room (right). Dining room has service room to rear; drawing room runs full length of house. Oval smoking room to rear of house, contained within bow. Marble fireplaces to principal rooms, cast-iron fireback in drawing room earlier than house. Central geometric stone stair case with plain cast-iron balustrade leading to 1st floor (bedrooms) and basement (kitchen and service rooms).
Statement of Special Interest
Part of a B-Group with Rosetta Stables, walled garden and lodge. This small mansion house stands to the north of Peebles. Set within wooded grounds, now a caravan park, the house has its own stables and walled garden (listed separately). In the 18th century, the site to the west of the road was known as Acrefield, and was owned by John Borrowman. Land to the south was owned by Francis Gilbert (Provost of Peebles) and called Acrefield Govan, as it once belonged to the Govans of Cardrona. John Robertson, a silversmith from Newcastle, bought both parcels of land in 1740 and renamed them "Acrefield". In 1807, he sold them to Thomas Young of Chapelhouse, East Lothian for ?3500. The new house, Rosetta, was erected for Young, a military surgeon and his new bride Violet Burns, the daughter of James Burns of Barns. Young had been on the Egyptian expedition led by Sir Ralph Abercromby who, after the capture of Alexandria in 1801, had secured the Rosetta Stone for Britain. A plaster copy of the stone is built into the entrance lobby. In 1823, Young improved the entrance to the house by acquiring part of the adjacent Elliot's Park land from Miss Ann Elliot in exchange for land to the west of the Rosetta estate. He died in 1836 and Trustees of the estate bought further land to the west of the Eddleston Water. The estate was sold in 1867 for ?9500 to Coutts Trotter of Melville Street, Edinburgh. The estate was then sold, in 1873, to the M'Gildowny family of Woodfold Park, Lancs. The house suffered fire damage in the later 20th century, although it has now been refurbished. The estate of Rosetta is in use as a caravan park with the house as its centrepiece.
M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) showing Acrefield. J Thompson, PEEBLESSHIIRE (1821) showing Rosetta. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) showing house, stables and garden grounds. J W Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1925) Vol II, pp316-318. RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS, Inv. 581: plan, fig. 283; elevation, fig.284; details, plate 78. Sheila Scott, THOMAS YOUNG OF ROSETTA (1980) 8 page pamphlet on Rosetta, in NMRS. C A Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p236.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSETTA HOUSE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/01/2019 08:21