Late 18th century. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, piended roofed, former tollhouse on sloped site with adjoining single storey wing to right and store below to rear. Coursed whinstone with sandstone dressings; painted cills and stone lintels.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 2-leaf boarded entrance door with window to flanks. To right of main building, adjoining single storey wing: door to extreme left breaking through eaves and rising into dwarf flat-roofed dormer with EDSTON TOLL painted on lintel; blind to right return.
SE ELEVATION: window to right, blind to left of elevation and falling away to follow contour of hill.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: to left, later wing with regularly placed paired windows; to right, main house with window to right and paired cast-iron Carron lights to roof.
NW ELEVATION: window to left with single storey wing (see PRINCIPAL ELEVATION) adjoining to right.
Glazing plan lost, windows in-filled by modern composite blocks but originally 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded entrance doors in situ. Piended grey-blue slate roof to main building and wing. Later metal ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Harled brick stack with later single can to central roofline.
INTERIOR: main house not seen, 2002; wing contains 20th century scullery.
Statement of Special Interest
Originally, this cottage was a toll house on the 18th century Peebles to Biggar "turnpike" road. The road had been upgraded following the 1751 Act passed to enable the establishment of "Turnpike Trusts". Tolls were abolished in Peeblesshire in 1866; hence this building would have become purely residential. Technically, legislation stated that once a Toll road had recouped the money for its construction, the Toll House was to be demolished. Some were not, and this is one of the surviving ones within the parish, another being sited at Neidpath. This tollhouse was known by a variety of names; on the 1st edition OS map is marked as 'Lynesmill TP'; others knew it as 'Edston Toll' (which is painted on the building) and some just called it 'Lyne Toll'. The building, sited on the south side of the A72 near Lynesmill and Lynesmill Bridge, sits within a small parcel of land with a garden to the sides and rear. Currently not in use.