Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GLEBE HOUSE INCLUDING STEADING, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB15163

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/04/2007
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Maxton
NGR
NT 61101 30410
Coordinates
361101, 630410

Description

1804-06 with later 19th century extension to rear. 2-storey, 3-bay, square-plan former manse with central pilastered, corniced door architrave enclosing rectangular light above timber-panelled door; two coped stone steps. Coursed pink sandstone rubble to front (S), snecked pink sandstone rubble to rear with raised polished and droved ashlar sills and quoins. Moulded eaves course to front (S) elevation only.

Timber sash and case windows, predominantly 12-pane glazing but with 4 panes in larger windows to rear and 8 panes in minor windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Ashlar wallhead stacks latterly heightened in brick with buff clay cans. Purple- grey slate ridge roof with 3 rooflights to front. Mixture of cast-iron and plastic rainwater goods, including decorative cast-iron hopper to W front.

INTERIOR: small entrance hall leading to central hallway with wooden balustraded staircase (probably a later addition). Arched alcove to SE drawing room. Timber-panelled doors throughout: 6-panel in front (1804-06) part of house, 4-panel in rear (later 19th-century) part. Working timber shutters and simple cornicing throughout.

STEADING: single-storey H-plan steading and stable range to W of house, contemporary with house and connected to it by later single-storey, flat-roofed extension. Random rubble with red sandstone dressings. Symmetrical gables at each end of both N and S elevations, with attic-level oculus to S. Asymmetrical openings to central sections with several timber-boarded doors to N and S. Stone floor. Modern asbestos cladding to ridge roof.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: random rubble walls with curved rubble coping surrounding area in front of house and stables. Corniced, pyramidal-capped grey ashlar gatepier; second gatepier hidden in ivy (2007). 2-leaf cast-iron gates with foliate finials.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-preserved, elegant, classical early 19th-century former manse and associated outbuildings, situated in a rural setting overlooking the River Tweed and adjacent to the B-listed parish church.

The building was completed in 1806 at a total cost of £787 12s 7d, which included the offices, garden walls, gates and gatepiers. In his November 1834 eport for the New Statistical Account, Rev. John Thomson writes: 'The manse was built about twenty-seven years ago, and is not unsuitable to the living, which is 14 chalders, half meal, half barley, with a small sum for vicarage tithes and communion elements. The glebe is about 11 acres, which might be let, perhaps, for L.18 or L.20.' The rear extension may date from 1847 when records show that a water closet was installed and the interior was probably also upgraded.

The original roofing material for all the buildings would have been slate.

References

Bibliography

N Tennant, Map of the County of Roxburgh (1840). New Statistical Account of Scotland (1845), Vol III, p124. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p528. Additional historical information courtesy of Kitty Cruft.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLEBE HOUSE INCLUDING STEADING, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/06/2019 21:34