1848. 2-storey gabled house with adjoining single storey
service wing and stables forming U-plan courtyard to W.
Coursed pink sandstone with ashlar dressings and
chamfered arrises to window surrounds, mullions and
transoms. Rasied base course.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 irregular bays. Advanced
gabled bay at centre. Roll-moulding to door surround
with hoodmould above stepped over square panel.
Tripartite in gable head with hoodmould and smaller,
blank panel above. Recessed gabled bay to left, wider,
with transomed tripartite at ground and tripartite at
1st floor; blank gable head panel as above. Outer right
bay windows as outer left, breaking eaves in dormerhead
N ELEVATION: wide gabled bay, slightly advanced to left
with full-height, 4-light canted bay swept into jerkin
gable head; recessed panels below cills and small square
in gable head. Other windows detailed as S elevation.
W ELEVATION: detailed as N elevation without the centre
E ELEVATION: M-gable to 2-storey house adjoined by varied
gabled single storey blocks to right and with taller
stable and hay loft block at right angles to left, with
segmentally arched carriage door and gabled hay loft
dormer. Partly paved court stack with set offs to S
gable of main E service cottage. Similar stack to left
of 2-storey M-gable. Horizontal-pane glazing pattern
to sash and case windows. Decorative barge boarding with
pendants to gables of main house and timber eaves
brackets. Grey slates. Some decorative gutter heads
retained. Polygonal ashlar stacks with moulded copings
and bases, set on pedestals in pairs and triplets.
WALLED GARDEN: to S of house. High squared rubble walls
enclosing rectangular garden.
GARDENER'S COTTAGE: to NW of house. 3-bay single storey
gabled cottage in same materials as house, with
chamfered arrises. Entrance to S with windows flanking.
Blank gables to E and W. Small-pane glazing to sash and
case windows. Timber eaves brackets; grey slates.
Currently serving as garden shed (1987).
GATEPIERS: 3 sets. 2 pairs of squat, squared rubble
piers with pyramid coping, one set by road to NE and
other by house to E. Former main driveway (currently
blocked) with taller square ashlar piers, pyramid coped
and adjoined by rubble coped rubble quadrants.
Statement of Special Interest
the house was commissioned by Mrs Hamilton Nisbet
Ferguson (styled 'of Ninewar' in NSA II 1835) and the
architect was quite possibly David Bryce whose buildings
on the Castlemilk Estate, bear Lockerbie, are very
similar. Thomas Hannan was the mason, John Swinton, the
wright. The barge boarding and jerkin head became
widespread, for example, at St Ann's, York Road, North
Berwick and at Belford Road, Edinburgh. Loudon's
COTTAGE, VILLA AND FARM ARCHITECTURE (1835) illustrates
design in same style, figures 850, 2110. The site of the
house was referred to as Ninvar on Adair's 1736 map and
as Nineware on Thomson's of 1822. The name surely
derived from the biblical Ninevah.