Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Tomb of Sir Walter Scott, King James obelisk, headstone of Field Marshall Earl Haig and memorials in burial ground to the north of Dryburgh Abbey and excluding scheduled monument SM90103, DryburghLB15114

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
09/06/1971
Last Date Amended
27/06/2017
Supplementary Information Updated
29/06/2017
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Mertoun
NGR
NT 59162 31713
Coordinates
359162, 631713

Description

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM90103.

The tomb of Sir Walter Scott (died 1832) and family members is at NT 59162 31713 and is located within the remains of the north transept of Dryburgh Abbey, which is a scheduled monument and is excluded from the listing. The tomb of Scott and his wife (died 1816) is a plain, double chest-tomb of polished red granite inscribed with names and dates on the top. To the south is a slab stone memorial to Scott's son, also Walter (died 1847) and his wife. To the east is the tomb of Scott's son-in-law and biographer, John Gibson Lockhart (died 1854), with a bronze cameo portrait.

The King James obelisk, dated 1794, is at NT 59102 31632 to the south of the abbey near the gatehouse. Two sides of this 'needle' type obelisk have inset figurative carvings of King James I and King James II. On the third side is a relief of the abbey's founder, Hugh de Moreville. The fourth side is inscribed 'Erected by the right Hon David Steuart Erskine the Earl of Buchan to the honour of his ancestors 1794. The figures were cut by George Burnet in Newstead and the lettering by D. Forson in Dryburgh by order of Sir David Erskine.'

The headstone of Lord Earl Haig (died 1928) is at NT 59151 31717 in an enclosure formed by the surviving base course of the abbey transept. This simple rectangular memorial stone has regimental insignia insets, cross and inscriptions. Haig's wife is buried beside him and has a similar stone. Further members of the Haig family are also interred within the enclosure.

The burial ground at NT 59142 31732 to the north of the abbey includes a small collection of 17th or 18th century headstones with carved figures holding books. There are further 18th, 19th and 20th century memorial stones including a number of military graves. The Cross of Sacrifice memorial, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield in 1918, was erected in 1929 following Earl Haig's burial at the Abbey in 1928. It has a stylised stone cross with longsword inset. The inscription on the octagonal plinth reads 'This cross of sacrifice is identical with those which stand above the dead of Lord Haig's armies in France and Flanders'.

Statement of Special Interest

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: Scheduled Monument No. 90103.

The internationally celebrated Scottish novelist and antiquarian Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832) spent much of his working and private life in the Scottish Borders. He began building Abbotsford House (LB15104) at nearby Tweedbank in 1812, before deciding that Dryburgh Abbey should be his final resting place.

Field Marshall Earl Haig was a descendent of the Halliburtons whose family estate of Bemersyde is to the north of Dryburgh. Haig was commander-in-chief of the British forces during the First World War and oversaw a number of decisive battles. He was made an Earl in 1919 and founded the British Legion in 1921.

The King James obelisk commemorates the foundation of Dryburgh Abbey by Hugh de Moreville in 1150. It is a late 18th century addition to the Dryburgh estate by its then owner, David Steuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan. He inherited Dryburgh Abbey House in 1785 and lived there until his death in 1829. Erskine was an antiquarian and patron of the arts and sciences whose additions to the Dryburgh estate included the Orchard Gate (LB15124) to the north of the abbey, the classical Temple of the Muses (LB15123) beside the River Tweed and a memorial statue to William Wallace (LB15122) on a hill at neighbouring Bemersyde.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2017. Previously listed as 'Dryburgh Abbey'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/CANMORE IDs: 254597, 340430, 340431, 254597, 104329

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1858, published 1862), Berwick Sheet XXX.15 (Merton), 1st Edition, 25 Inches to the Mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1897, published 1898), Roxburghshire 008.11 (includes: Mertoun; St Boswells), 2nd Edition, 25 Inches to the Mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Cruft, K. Et al (2006) Buildings of Scotland – Borders. London: Yale University Press, p.218-224.

Strang, C. (1994) Borders and Berwick: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Edinburgh: RIAS, Rutland Square, p.171.

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Dryburgh Abbey

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/dryburgh-abbey

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. DRYBURGH ABBEYGDL00145

    Designation Type
    Garden & Designed Landscape
    Status
    Designated
  2. Dryburgh AbbeySM90103

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Tomb of Sir Walter Scott and family members, Dryburgh Abbey.
King James Obelisk showing carving of King James I of Scotland, with trees to rear, Dryburgh Abbey.

Printed: 16/07/2019 09:49