Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

GARTMORE HOUSE, WALLED GARDENLB15063

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Port Of Menteith
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NS 53043 97752
Coordinates
253043, 697752

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Approximately rectangular, mid 18th century walled garden situated on a sloping site to the NE of Gartmore House. It was constructed using material from Gartartan Castle, a late 16th century or early 17th century ruinous Z-plan tower house and Scheduled Ancient Monument, which is located on the NW side of the garden. The garden dates from the period when the Graham family of Gartmore were carrying out improvements to their house and grounds, and laying out the planned estate village of Gartmore. It is a good surviving example of relatively unaltered walled garden, which incorporates much older fabric from Gartartan Castle.

Approximately 12 foot high random rubble walls with flat stone copes. Round-arched ashlar SW gateway with keystone and timber gate. SE gate with pediment above with C within, a reused fragment from Gartartan Castle, which according to the previous list description is dated 1686 (date not visible at time of resurvey, 2004). Broad, segmentally arched NW gate is obscured by ivy; a fine armorial panel above it which was extant in 1971 was not seen in 2004.

Another random rubble wall slices the garden in half along a SW-NE axis. Early 20th century postcards show that there was once an extensive series of glasshouses situated along S face of this wall. Of these, only the brick foundations survive. To the N of this wall are a series of lean-to brick buildings with corrugated iron roofs, which accommodated the heating system for the glasshouses, as well as potting sheds and gardeners' room. 1 chimney stack still survives.

At time of resurvey (2004) the S half of the garden was occupied by pigs, geese and beehives. The N section, which is currently overgrown, has 1 glasshouse (probably not in its original location) which is in a perilous condition.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group together with Gartmore House, the Burial Enclosure, Village Gate and Gartartan Lodge.

Alexander Graham observed in 1724 that to the west of Gartartan Castle 'is the house of Gartmore, the residence of Robert Graham of Gartmore, where there are new enclosures, and a great deal of young planting'. The policies at Gartmore around the ruins of Gartartan Castle were well developed by the time of Roy's Military Survey of Scotland (1747-55), although the Walled Garden does not appear on an estate map dated 1780. It is mentioned in a report dated 1833, which also referred to a series of hot houses, including a peach-house and vinery (Graham Papers, National Archives of Scotland).

According to local residents, 38 gardeners were employed on the Gartmore estate in its early 20th century heyday and the estate was famed for its peaches, grown under glass in the walled garden. But the walled garden was never completely under cultivation - most of the S section beyond the glasshouses was laid out with shrubs and walks. This is confirmed by the layout of the garden on 1st and 2nd editions of Ordnance Survey maps.

References

Bibliography

Roy, Military Survey of Scotland (1747-55); Estate Map of Gartmore (1780), National Library of Scotland, Map Library; 'Extracts from Alexander Graham's Description of the Parish, 1724' quoted in Stirling, William MacGregor, Notes, Historical & Descriptive on the Priory of Inchmahome (Edinburgh, 1815), 181; Reports on the value and condition of woods on Gartmore Estate, 1826-1833, Graham Papers, National Archives of Scotland; New Statistical Account (1845), 10: 1108; 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64); 2nd edition OS map (1898-1900); Gifford, John & Walker, Frank A, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling & Central Scotland (New Haven & London, 2002), 637; RCAHMS.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GARTMORE HOUSE, WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 10:59