Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Long rectangular, rubble-built mill, part of which may date to 1671, altered in 1744, now a house. Single storey with slightly taller addition to NE, which according to the previous list description was probably built in 2 stages, later 18th to early 19th century. Mill wheel on SW wall. It is of local importance as a former water mill, incorporating fabric from the 17th and 18th centuries. Situated due W of Lake of Menteith, at the heart of the Malling estate, the mill is located immediately to the NW of Malling Steading (see separate listing), which has a 19th century horse mill. This mill predates the horse mill, and together they show the evolution of agricultural power sources from the 17th to early 20th centuries.
Principal (SE) elevation: single storey range to left with segmental-arched entrance with dated keystone 1744, various window openings. To right, taller addition with shallower roof pitch. Glass-roofed lean-to projection, dormer window with raking roof breaking eaves above, single window to right. Single window to NE return.
Side (SW) elevation: mill wheel with ashlar-faced wall behind, painted render above. According to previous list description there was a small opening to right with lintel dated 1671 and initial W, not seen at time of resurvey (2004). 2 new openings to either side of wheel. Mill lade carried on a tall masonry wall.
Access not obtained at time of resurvey (2004). According to the present owner, the remains of wheel gearing were removed when it was converted into a house in the early 1980s.
Squared rubble with dressed stone margins to openings, painted render to SW elevation. Pitched grey slate roofs with stone coping to gables. Stone finial to SW gable apex has been lost in the conversion. Modern timber glazed doors and modern timber sash and case windows. Rendered stack to rear added at time of conversion.