Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1715 with later additions. Located in mature gardens on the SE bank of Lake of Menteith, Lochend is a substantial, steeply roofed, multi-phase house composed of a 1715 core with additions to E of 1871, 1893 and late 1990s. It has a long association with the Cardross estate (see separate list description) and was probably built as a tacksman or factor's house. Of early core and interesting multi-phase history.
Principal (S) elevation of central 2-storey, 3-bay house with doorway and 1715 red sandstone date panel to centre, flanked by single windows. 2 large steeply gabled dormer windows to roof date from 1871 alterations. To W, 2-storey single bay addition: the ground floor drawing room with 3-light canted bay window to W return was added in 1871, while 1st floor bedroom above dates from 1922.
Adjoining to E of 1715 core is a 2-storey with attic gabled section, slightly advanced, dated 1871. Much architectural detailing, including chamfered margins to windows, pedimented to attic, quoins, rybats, chamfered skew, decorative finial to gable apex and decorative skewputs with inscription: to left 'J. E. E' (John Elphinstone Erskine, see Notes) and to right '1871'. Large gabled dormer in roof facing E, partially hidden by gable apex. To E of gabled section, adjoining lower single storey with attic extension, which was originally the servants' and nursery wing. 2 single windows to ground floor, bipartite window breaking eaves above with pediment and inscription: '1893 H.D.E. H.E.E. EX DONO G.A.C.E.'. Finally, adjoining to E, 2-storey 3-bay extension dating from late 1990s. This replaced an Alisdair Nairn extension of 1969 which was destroyed by fire in 1995. Roofline at same level as 1893 extension, but eaves are higher. E (return) elevation: 2-storey with attic, with heavy, asymmetrical margins to openings.
The N (rear) elevation largely mirrors the S elevation. The rear elevation of 1715 core has been altered. Composed of 5 bays, with a late 20th century timber glazed conservatory to left and large 5-light canted bay window to right, probably inserted to maximise views across the lawns to Lake of Menteith. To 1st floor, 5 regularly spaced windows with single large canted dormer to roof.
Interior largely remodelled by Buchanan in 1922 (see Notes): most fireplaces were replaced and the large oak staircase with barleysugar balusters that dominates the 1715 core of the house was inserted, as were many oak floors. Deep skirting, cornicing, panelled timber doors, timber working shutters, all mostly date from 1922. An earlier decorative scheme on the ceiling of the 1715 core is papered over. The present owners have photographic records of it. The house has been divided up into 3 separate residences, all in single ownership with interconnecting doors.
2-leaf timber front door; various other timber and half glazed doors to architraved doorways. Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Variety of masonry forms: much-pointed rubble with chamfered margins to openings to 1715 core; squared, squared and coursed rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings to later additions. The roofs were reslated in new grey slates in 1990s. Variety of skews and finials to gable apices. 2 large corniced ashlar ridge stacks, dating from 1871, dominate the 1715 core of the house and mark the original gables of the 1715 house; variety of smaller coped stacks to E sections of house.
Statement of Special Interest
Upgraded from category C(S) to B on 23 October 1995.
Much of the associated ancillary buildings, including the coach house, gardener's cottage and boat houses have either been substantially altered or lost.
Although the present house dates from 1715, there have been buildings at the Lochend site for much longer. Lochend is frequently mentioned in the early writs of Inchmahome Priory. In 1548 John Erskine, Commendator of Inchmahome, granted a lease to Alexander Menteith and his sons of the lands of Lochend (Fraser, 1880, 524). Lochend also appears on Blaeu's Atlas of Scotland (1654). It was part of the Cardross estate owned by the Erskine Earls of Mar and Buchan, and is locally believed to be the former Dower House of Cardross. However, according to the present owners (2004), it was more likely to have been built to accommodate the factor of Cardross. It remained part of the Cardross estate until 1742, when the almost bankrupt Erskines sold Lochend to John Campbell. However, it returned to the Cardross estate in 1800.
In the second half of the 19th century it became the home of John Elphinstone Erskine, the 'genial and gallant Admiral Erskine,' MP for county of Stirling (Hutchison 1899, 57), who lived there after his retirement from the Navy until his death in 1887. In 1871 he transformed the 'very small' house into a 'pleasant mansion house', making it watertight and building new rooms (Erskine 1926, 65).
In 1922 the Cardross estate was broken up and Lochend was sold to Matthew Turnbull Buchanan ('Sweetie Buchanan') who remodelled the interior.
Blaeu, Atlas of Scotland (1654); Stirling, William MacGregor, Notes, Historical & Descriptive on the Priory of Inchmahome (Edinburgh, 1815); New Statistical Account (1845); Fraser, William, The Red Book of Menteith, 2 vols (Edinburgh, 1880); Hutchison, A F, The Lake of Menteith: Its Islands and Vicinity (Stirling, 1899); Erskine, Mrs. Steuart, The Memoirs of Sir David Erskine of Cardross, KCVO, (np, 1926); Stewart, John A, Inchmahome & the Lake of Menteith (np, 1933); McKean, Charles, Stirling & The Trossachs: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (Edinburgh, 1994), 115; Gifford, John & Walker, Frank A, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling & Central Scotland (New Haven & London, 2002), 636; RCAHMS. Additional information courtesy of present owners (2004).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHEND
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 20/04/2019 02:02