Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PORT OF MENTEITH, MENTEITH HOUSE (FORMER MANSE) GATEPIERS AND GATESLB15050

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
06/09/1979
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Port Of Menteith
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 58303 1394
Coordinates
258303, 701394

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Pair of fine early 19th century quatrefoil stone gatepiers enclosed in gothic cast and wrought ironwork of high quality. Located at the drive entrance to the Former Manse, now Menteith House.

Statement of Special Interest

Menteith House is situated to the N of Port of Menteith Parish Church (see separate list description) in the heart of the small hamlet of Port of Menteith. Dating from the late 18th century, it is much extended and aggrandised and it ceased to function as the manse in 1958.

Rev. William MacGregor Stirling (1771-1833), author of Notes, Historical & Descriptive, on the Priory of Inchmahome (1815) was minister at Port of Menteith and lived at the manse. He appears to have been a relation of the architect William Stirling I of Dunblane (1772-1838) and figures in his will. William Stirling I carried out many commissions in the area, including the Graham of Gartmore Mausoleum in Port of Menteith Churchyard (see separate list description). According to David Walker, the quatrefoil gatepiers to the entrance were designed by William Stirling. He also altered the manse at a cost of 90 pounds (Walker 1972, 46).

References

Bibliography

Stirling, William MacGregor, Notes, Historical & Descriptive, on the Priory of Inchmahome (Edinburgh, 1815); New Statistical Account (1845); Walker, David, 'The Stirlings of Dunblane and Falkirk', Bulletin of the Scottish Georgian Society, 1 (1972), 40-59; McKean, Charles, Stirling & The Trossachs: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, (RIAS, 1994), 115; Gifford, John & Walker, Frank A, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling & Central Scotland (New Haven & London, 2002), 637. Additional information courtesy of present owners and David Mitchell of Historic Scotland (2004).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PORT OF MENTEITH, MENTEITH HOUSE (FORMER MANSE) GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 09:38