Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PORT OF MENTEITH, CHURCHYARD, GRAHAM OF GARTMORE MAUSOLEUMLB15049

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Port Of Menteith
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 58317 1156
Coordinates
258317, 701156

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

William Stirling I of Dunblane (1772-1838), architect, circa 1810. Sombre neo-classical mausoleum for the Graham family with Gothic elements. Simple stugged ashlar rectangle with stone slabbed roof, pedimented to E and W, set on a battered base of bullfaced masonry. Ogee-arched E entrance with 2-light Gothic W window (boarded up, 2004) both within segmental arches. Situated on the W side of the Port of Menteith churchyard, only the E gable is located within the boundary walls of the churchyard while its base is situated on the shore of Lake of Menteith.

Inside, lining each wall are a series of stone shelves, on which are interred 2 lead coffins: 'Anna Cunninghame-Graham of Gartmore. Died aged 29 years on the 21st of June 1811' and 'Sarah Eliza Dickson. Aged 29 years. Died 22nd September 1814.' Vaulted stone ceiling and studded timber door.

Statement of Special Interest

William MacGregor Stirling described it thus: 'In a mausoleum built on the shore ' are deposited the remains of one of the most elegant and estimable of her sex, who died in the prime of life, Mrs Cunninghame-Graham of Gartmore. Here also are the remains of her interesting sister, Miss Dixon.' (Stirling 1815, 107-8). Guide to City and County of Perth (1824) describes it as 'an elegant cemetery, lately built for the Gartmore family, from a design by Mr William Stirling, architect at Dunblane, and situated on the verge of the Lake.'

William Stirling I was the principal member of a family of architects established at Dunblane, Perthshire. His marriage in 1803 to Jean, daughter of David Erskine, allied him to the closely related families of Erskine, Graham, Stirling and Masterton who were among the principal Perthshire landowners, and brought him many commissions on their estates (Colvin 1995, 926).

References

Bibliography

Stirling, William MacGregor, Notes, Historical & Descriptive, on the Priory of Inchmahome (Edinburgh, 1815), 107; Guide to City and County of Perth (1824) 127; Walker, David, 'The Stirlings of Dunblane and Falkirk', Bulletin of the Scottish Georgian Society, 1 (1972), 40-59; McKean, Charles, Stirling and The Trossachs: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (Edinburgh, 1994), 118; Colvin, Howard, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840 (New Haven & London, 1995), 926; Gifford, John & Walker, Frank A, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling & Central Scotland (New Haven & London, 2002), 637.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PORT OF MENTEITH, CHURCHYARD, GRAHAM OF GARTMORE MAUSOLEUM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 17:41