Joseph Mitchell, 1823 after earlier bridge by Thomas Telford.
c. 1811. Large, 3-span bridge, and centre arch being slightly
wider and higher. Tooled and pinned rubble with tooled ashlar
dressings. 3 segmental-headed tooled ashlar rings, the
dressings being alternate blocks of dark schist and lighter
granite, springing from rusticated masonry cutwater abutments.
Cutwaters rise as engaged columns, diminishing in girth and
decorated with dummy vertical and cruciform slits, terminating
at parapet level with simple blocked caps. Similarly detailed
Band-course; tooled ashlar parapets slightly splayed approaches. Approximate width of arches; 48', 55', 48'.
Drystone embankments flank bridge.
Statement of Special Interest
Telford Bridge built at Torgoyle circa 1811; destroyed by
flood damage in 1818. Replaced firstly by temporary wooden
bridge, and then in 1823 by present structure redesigned by
Telford's principal inspector, Joseph Mitchell. Appears on OS
as Torgoyle Bridge.