Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DIRLETON VILLAGE, MAIN ROAD, DIRLETON VILLAGE SCHOOL, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAYLB1499

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
07/12/1988
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Dirleton
NGR
NT 51198 83703
Coordinates
351198, 683703

Description

John Alexander Carfrae, 1912. Single storey, U-plan

school with later addition. Squared and snecked

Rattlebag masonry. Dressed and plain ashlar dressings.

N ELEVATION: almost symmetrical. Advanced splayed bay at

centre with coped "colonial" gable absorbing stack to

right. Semi-circular, arched large window at centre with

raised keystone and Gibbsian surround. Single window to

left splay. Doors in re-entrant angles with roll-moulded

architraves, waved at lintels. Recessed end bays with

single window breaking eaves in cartouched "colonial"

gable to right.

Modern flat-roofed infill at rear. Gable later wings. 3 large

windows to right gable with semi-circular panel

above taller centre window billet architrave 2 high

windows to left gable with carved quatrefoil, '1912' panel

in gable head.

E ELEVATION: simply detailed.

W ELEVATION: 3 bays to right with centre window breaking

eaves in cartouched 'colonial' gable. Gabled bays to left

with 2 paired windows and stack to right skew.

Multi-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.

Slated roof. Leaded apron to domed circular bellcote with

fine finial to S of centre ridge.

WALLS AND GATEWAY: rubble boundary wall coped to N

front with quadrant walls, wrought-iron railings. Square

ashlar gate piers with moulded panels to N and moulded

coping. Decorative wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Carfrae was a popular school architect (see Newton and Knox

Academy in Haddington). Formerly housed public school, now

primary. Arts and Crafts touches to use of materials,

including 3 ashlar courses closing gable heads. Ironwork

almost certainly by Thomas Hadden.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1978, p.177.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DIRLETON VILLAGE, MAIN ROAD, DIRLETON VILLAGE SCHOOL, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 10:22