Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SCRABSTER HOUSELB14954

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/11/1984
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Thurso
NGR
ND 9889 69882
Coordinates
309889, 969882

Description

Dated 1834. Substantial later 19th century Scottish Renaissance

house incorporating late 18th and earlier 19th century portions

at north and east. Mainly 2-storeys over raised basement, with

6 irregular bays in re-cast south frontage. All harled with

tooled ashlar margins and dressings.

Earliest portion of house is at east and north, with east

entrance masked by later 19th century square crenellated

tower porch approach by flight steps. 3-bay north facade

with centre wallhead gable and apex stack, linked to continuous

west later 19th century extension by high round-headed recessed

bay. Re-used pediment in south gable, re-cut 1834 datestone

and later raising of upper floor windows through wallhead in

pedimented gablets.

House re-cast to south in late 19th century with main centre

entrance in base of 3-storey square, crenellated tower with

exaggerated angle bartizan. Round-headed hoodmoulded doorway,

flanked at right by gable of earlier house and to left by late

19th century gabled wing with angle window in ground floor.

Mainly 4-pane glazing; ornate carved Gothic Revival door in

east entrance; band courses; crowsteps; apex ball finials;

corniced end ridge and wallhead stacks; slate roofs.

Interior; ornate cornices in some rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

A "mansion" in 1884. Commanding position overlooking Scrabster

and Thurso Bay, on site of former Scrabster Castle, seat of the

Bishops of Caithness.

Ornate carved door in east entrance said to have come from

Thurso Castle, 1872-78 (now ruinous).

This entrance used as main entry up to later 19th century (1st

ed. OS. 1872).

References

Bibliography

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ii, (circa 1858) p.702. Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, vi, (1885) p. 438.

1st edition Ordnance Survey (1872)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SCRABSTER HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/07/2019 01:52