1839, style of William Robertson, Elgin. Large T-plan
church, with small burial mausoleum (Circa 1686) at E gable.
All red rubble with similar tooled ashlar dressings; harled
mausoleum with ashlar dressings.
4 long symmetrical square-headed, hoodmoulded windows to S
elevation of church, with square-headed, also hoodmoulded,
entrances in outer bays. Similar window and door in west
elevation of rear T-wing, with further window in east of
T-wing. Considerably larger, but similar, window lights
West gable of church; all these large windows have moulded
wooden transoms and mullions and multi-pane glazing. Small
16-pane gallery windows in north and east gables, similar
windows light rear of church.
Truncated corbelled octagonal bellcote at west gable apex;
partially damaged cross finials at East and North apices.
Accentuated skewputts; slate roofs. Mausoleum: circa 1686,
small and low L-plan with narrow 3-bay front, comprising
centre pointed-headed door with flanking similarly arched
windows with simple Y-tracery. Mural monument in form of
Venetian window with blind or defaced panels, moulded
cornices to side lights, dated 1742 and initialled LM and AD.
Moulded eaves cornice; piended slate roof. Pair cast-iron
cats bearing banners standing on stone plinths flank
entrance. Burial ground: walled burial ground surrounds
church, falling away down terraced slope to south. Coped
rubble walls with pair square tooled rubble gate piers with
square caps approached flight steps (former principal
entrance, now enclosed by further burial ground extension).
Watch-house: dated 1825. Rectangular rubble watch-house
built against side of slope flanking gate piers and former
principal burial ground entrance; entrance in west gable;
small margined lights in west and south decaying apex
stack; slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Church no longer in ecclesiastical use.
Present building on site of 1769 church.
Lachlan Mackintosh of Kinrara (Alvie Parish, Badenoch and
Strathspey) left "500 marks money ... for building ane
chapel of esslar (ashlar?) work at easter gable of kirk of
Petty to be ane burial place for Lairds of Mackintosh and
their ladies ... to be erected within 18 months of decease"
(also in 1686).
Cat in crest of Mackintosh family and Clan Chattan.