Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NH 80357 53512
280357, 853512


Circa 1820, remodelled 1856. Mid to later 19th century rear

extensions. Symmetrical South facing 2-storey wide 5-bay

villa with centre rear wing forming T-plan. Coursed rubble

front, harl pointed flanks and rear, tooled ashlar dressings

and margins. Slightly advanced centre bay with centre door

screened by pointed cast-iron trellised porch dated 1856;

bracketted entablature and block pediment with corniced

apex supporting gilded lion. Longer ground floor windows with

decorative painted cast-iron window box guards; all first

floor windows with painted cast-iron balconies with palmette

and anthemion decoration. Single ground and first floor

windows in return E and W gables with similar decorative

and to rear wing windows. Pair later 19th century canted

dormer windows in front outer bays, with subsequent small

box dormer in front and rear. Some alterations and additions

to rear of house, including mansard roof to service wing.

Mainly 12-pane glazing; long and short detailing to all

ashlar margined angles; deep bracketted eaves; symmetrical

corniced ridge and end stacks; piended slate roof, partially

platformed. Rainwater goods dated 1856.

Interior: some interior features survive; principal

reception rooms right and left of entrance hall, with rear

stairhall. Simple chimney piece in drawing room (left) with

decorative cast-iron grate. Restrained corniced ceilings

with some coffering; panelled window shutters and doors;

moulded doorpieces.

Statement of Special Interest

Property of Major Andrew Fraser, Assistant Governor at Fort

George in 1841. Owned by James G Fraser in 1851, and by 1862 by

monogram JAFEIM on the porch dated 1856. Decorative

cast-iron work, lion and possibly rear wing probably

added at this date.



NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiv (1841) pp 395, 398-9, 412


SCOTLAND (1843) p 57 (1851) p 73 (1862) p 101.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FLEMINGTON HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 17:47