Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TOMATIN, FINDHORN BRIDGELB14885

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Moy And Dalarossie
NGR
NH 80417 27741
Coordinates
280417, 827741

Description

Sir Owen Williams (engineer) with Maxwell Ayrton (architect), dated 1926. 2-span shuttered-concrete girder bridge with deep canted abutments containing refuges, high parapet with polygonal openings and central concrete pier with open centre and triangular cutwaters rising to top of parapet. Inscription cast in centre of parapet, facing road. Each span measures 29.3m.

Statement of Special Interest

Findhorn Bridge is the largest, most expensive, and arguably most striking of a number of bridges constructed by Sir Owen Williams and Maxwell Ayrton along the route of the old A9 in the Highlands. The road deck is suspended from deep vierendeel girders, the form of which dictate the shape of the shuttered concrete arches that line the parapet. The ground on which the bridge was ill-suited to contain the thrusts of an arched bridge. While there are other methods of overcoming this difficulty, this bridge both solves the engineering problem and provides a monumental visual effect. The inscription reads: THIS BRIDGE WAS BUILT IN 1926 TO REPLACE THE BRIDGE BUILT BY THOMAS TELFORD IN 1833. The bridge is situated on the course of the old A9, just to the South of Tomatin.

Williams, one of the most celebrated engineers of the modern movement era of design, was commissioned to design this series of landmark bridges working with the architect Maxwell Ayrton. Designed and built between 1924 and 1928, the bridges combine imaginative aesthetics with innovative structural design in reinforced concrete. There were eight bridges by Williams on the A9, the others being two-arch bridges at Loch Alvie and Crubenmore, larger bridges at Dalnamein and over the Spey near Newtonmore, and a small single-span bridge also at Dalnamein (all listed seperately). Small bridges at Aviemore and Brora have been remodelled and remain unlisted.

References

Bibliography

John Hume The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland Volume II (1977) pp210-1. David Cottam Sir Owen Williams 1890-1969 (1986). David Yeomans & David Cottam, The Engineer's Contribution to Contemporary Architecture: Owen Williams (2001).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TOMATIN, FINDHORN BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 08:35