Possibly 17th probably 18th century with later alterations.
Smithy and ancillary buildings, comprising 2 parallel rows
with rubble retaining walls enclosing ground between,
both following falling level. Red standstone rubble with
some stugged and some droved ashlar dressings inserted
later. Multi-pane glazing pattern, some in sash and case;
pantiles. Gable end stacks.
E RANGE: steeply pitched gable to S and piended end to
N. 3-bay cottage by roadside to S, with doorway flanked
by windows on W side and square window flanked by
larger windows on E side. Smithy property to N, with
door and windows to E side, and machinery doors and
doorway breaking eaves with swept roof to W side (stable
INTERIOR: massive lugged, hooded forge to N end of
W RANGE: steeply pitched gables to N and S. Irregular
openings to E elevation with 2 doors and 2 windows and
blocked window; former lean-to, currently roofless and
ruinous, of later addition to N gable.
Statement of Special Interest
These buildings were probably extant when Pitcox Church
was still in use (pre 1561), also serving Stenton when
the parish was named Pitcox. A further smithy with forge
chimneypiece is listed separately in Stenton village.