Charles Ritchie, 1803, 2-storey 3-bay classical farmhouse
with single storey, single bay wings, and circa 1840 addition
to W. Droved, coursed red/grey sandstone ashlar: base course
and eaves cornice; blocking course to E elevation and single
E ELEVATION symmetrical; 3, 2-storey bays at centre
with blind segmentally arched panels at ground, each with
window; cill course below smaller 1st floor windows.
windows to each floor of bay, smaller at 1st floor;
stone bracketted canopy to doorway and panelled door,
blind 1st floor window above. Window to each advanced
single storey wing, that to right with smaller window
flanking by re-entrant angle.
N ELEVATION: triple segmental arcade and parapet above
eaves of lean-to roof behind; narrow windows to centre
and left bays.
S ELEVATION: piend roofed single storey service building
projecting at ground, probably added circa 1840,
contemporary with W addition.
INTERIOR: winding stair; bowed wall to hall and to
Dining Room; panelled doors and window shutters; some
decorative plasterwork; classical timber chimneypiece.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Grey slates; lead flashings. Ashlar wallhead stacks.
TERRACE AND RETAINING WALLS: rubble walls to curved
ha-ha by E elevation; ashlar coped rubble retaining walls to
W, with decorative cast- and wrought-iron railings and
Statement of Special Interest
The architect's initials "CR" are on the plans,
and his identity confirmed by the contract papers, which
reveal John Doughty to have been the mason. The
1st tenant was required never to plough the field to E of
the ha-ha. The house cost $1119.9.10, and the
commission sprang from the Biel estate. The steading to
W is not included in current listings.