Circa 1740 restored and extended 1985. 2-storey, square
plan, pyramid-roofed gate lodge with later squat piended
stair block projecting to W, and cat-slide projections to
N and W, linked with single storey, harled piended
addition of 1985 to NW, on falling ground. Red rubble
sandstone with ashlar dressings and chamfered arrises to
all but ground floor window by road. Entrance in E
elevation and rear door in W elevation at foot of stair.
8-pane glazing pattern to narrow sash and cash windows
in E, S and N. Grey slates with decorative diamond
detail to S, and leaded ball finial, swept eaves. Angle
stacks to N.
INTERIOR: panelling to 1st floor with deeply coved
ceiling and angle chimneypiece.
GATEPIERS AND QUADRANTS: circa 1740. 2 fluted ashlar
piers with pulvinated bands, moulded coping and ball
finials. Shallow quadrants with ashlar coping leading to
outer pair of panelled gatepiers with coping and ball
finials as above. Pedestrian gateway in N quadrant
leading to lodge.
Statement of Special Interest
Probability that William Adam was responsible for the
gateway as he was recorded repairing the house, building
cascades and bridge, pre 1743. Similarity between
Broxmouth gatepiers and those to Lady Kitty's Garden,
Haddington, listed separately. John C Hope was the
architect of the 1985 restoration, working with Lothian
Building Preservation Trust. West Lodge, listed
separately. Broxmouth Park walls, flanking quadrants,
are listed separately.