Probably James Nisbet, circa 1775 and possibly
incorporating the earlier house. 2-storey, classical
U-plan mansion with raised basement in falling ground to
N. Harled with grey and red sandstone ashlar dressings.
Band course at ground floor level; moulded cornice below
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2-storey. Slightly advanced
pedimented bay at centre with raised quoins. Tripartite
doorway with panelled 2-leaf door and decorative
fanlight. Single storey, Roman doric columned portico,
probably added later. Tripartite window at 1st floor. 3
bays flanking to each side with tall ground floor
windows, smaller at 1st floor.
W ELEVATION bowed, full-height bay at centre in ashlar,
probably added later, with French windows at ground
floor and to basement. Decorative later 19th century
wrought-iron balcony with later ram's horn stair
adjoined. 2 bays flanking to each side with windows at
E ELEVATION: 6 bays to main house with regular windows at
basement, ground and 1st floor; lower, recessed 2-bay
addition at N end and curtain wall remainder of former
3-storey 7-bay gabled extension to wing (demolished
after 1955 and a later addition). Garage doorways
inserted to basement of main house at right and 2
N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: formerly enclosed by coped
rubble wall at N end. Full-height rectangular stair
projection in re-entrant angle by W wing with small
oculus and tall stair windows. Wide doorway at ground at
centre; regularly windowed bays to remaining elevations.
Doorway at right of recessed 2-bay eastern extension.
Harled lean-to garage set on site of demolished
extension. Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case
windows. Grey slates to piend roofs with ashlar ridge
tiles; coped red sandstone ashlar ridge stacks.
Cast-iron arrowhead and urn finialled railings by
basement area, flanking S elevation to E and W.
Decorative lamp standards to drive, dated 1902.
INTERIOR: fine chimneypieces of original and mid 19th
PARK WALLS AND GATEPIERS: red rubble sandstone boundary
walls enclosing policies and deer park of Broxmouth, and
farming boundary with golf links. Several gateways with
rusticated ashlar piers and moulded coping. Deer park
was landscaped in 1845.
BRIDGE: sited by golf links over small burn; arched
sandstone span of about 3 metres in width, with boundary
wall as parapet to links side only.