Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay classical mansion with
single storey wings. Squared and snecked pink sandstone with
regrettably heavy pointing and paler dressings to S elevation;
rubble sides and rear. Base, 1st floor cill and blocking
courses to S elevation and moulded cornice, to all bays;
tablests above centre bay and wings.
S ELEVATION: slightly advanced bay at centre with broad,
pilasters and corniced doorcase; carved capitals and paterae;
tripartite doorway with segmentally arched fanlight; 1st floor
window above. Slightly recessed segmentally arched panels on
flanking bays, with tripartite windows, ashlar mullions;
1st floor windows. Similarly detailed tripartite windows
in outer, slightly recessed wings.
N ELEVATION: low, piend-roofed service block adjoined to E
wing at rear, with further single storey outbuilding at N end.
Slightly later piend-roofed stairblock addition to centre
of 2-storey bays. Small-pane glazing patterns in sash and
case windows. End stacks; original cans. Purple slates to
GATEPIERS: corniced pink ashlar gatepiers to S, with pyramidal
Statement of Special Interest
Gifford Bank resembles the design by James Burn of the
Bank of Scotland, Court Street, Haddington, 1802-3, and
that of Stottencleugh, Oldhamstocks. Walled garden
and gardener's cottage lie to E of Gifford Bank, not
included in current listings.