Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TEMPLE VILLAGE, 5 MAIN STREETLB14649

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
18/11/1998
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Temple
NGR
NT 31675 58676
Coordinates
331675, 658676

Description

Later 18th century. Single storey; 9 bay; rectangular plan traditional row of 3 cottages now forming 1 house, with later additions to right and rear. Tooled random rubble with droved dressings. Long and short quoins and dressings.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; wide window to centre, originally a doorway; bipartite window to penultimate bay to right, originally a doorway; boarded timber replacement doorway to penultimate bay to left; regular fenestration to remaining bays. Single storey, single bay, bull faced 20th century addition recessed to outer right with single window off centre to right.

SE & NE ELEVATIONS: not seen 1998.

NW ELEVATION: obscured by 20th century addition (see above).

Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement concrete pantiled roof with concrete ridge; stone skews; tooled coped gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

This was originally a row of three cottages, which have now been converted into one long cottage. The Main Street of Temple Village ascends from the banks of the River South Esk on both sides of the road. The village takes its name from the Knights Templar whose headquarters it was from the early 12th century. However, before it took on its present name in 1570 it was called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. The Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John were funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.

References

Bibliography

1st (1852) & 2nd (1892) Edition O.S. Maps; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p447; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p100 101; NMRS Various photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TEMPLE VILLAGE, 5 MAIN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 09:30