Early 19th century. 2 storey, 4 bay, enclosed courtyard plan shooting lodge. Random rubble with polished dressings to NW elevation, droved to remainder. Raised margins to windows; long and short raised quoins to NW, strip quoins to remainder.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3 bays stepped back to right. 2 windows with relieving arches to ground floor, surmounted by central gableted bipartite window with stugged gablehead breaking eaves to centre and right bays; tripartite window flanked to right by round arched doorway, both with long and short dressings; ?RM? to keystone of doorway surmounted by tooled heraldic panel; glazed, panelled timber door with semi circular fanlight.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3 bay with later additions. Windows to centre and left bays of ground floor; single storey advanced bay to right with window to centre and left return, right return obscured by later additions; window off centre to left of 1st floor of bay to right; timber and brick additions to outer right enclosing courtyard.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5 bay. 3 canted bays to right advanced with glazed timber door to centre of ground; flanking bay to left obscured by adjoining conservatory; regular fenestration to remaining bays. Lean to 13 bay conservatory to ground floor of bays to left with glazed 2 leaf door to penultimate bay to right. Window to penultimate bay to left of 1st floor, flanked to left by gableted bipartite window breaking eaves.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7 bay; tripartite window to 3rd bay from right at ground floor; blank bay advanced to outer right; garden wall advanced from re entrant angle of bay to outer right with penultimate bay to right (see below); regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of remaining bays.
COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: irregular fenestration and doors with droved dressings.
Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof with lead ridges; coped stone skews to gable to SW. Combination of coped ridge, shouldered wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: predominantly plain skirting boards, cornicing and fireplaces. Timber panelled room to W corner of 1st floor. Stairs with cast iron balusters. Interior of conservatory retains cast iron brackets supporting boarded timber roof.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: random rubble walls with flat coping to NE and NW walls and semi circular coping to remainder; NW wall supported by buttresses to interior, boarded timber door to E of house, gateway to W; boarded timber door leading to chapel to centre of NE wall; V jointed rusticated gatepiers to centre of SE wall; tooled gatepiers to centre of SW wall, flanked to left by tall section of flat coped wall; small flat roofed building to inside angle of NW and SW walls. Polished coped gatepiers with ball finials to NW of house, flanked by tooled rubble quadrant walls with semicircular coping.
Statement of Special Interest
B Group with Episcopal Chapel, Gatepiers, Home Farm and Lodge (see separate listings). The estate of Rosebery was originally part of the old Clerkington Parish. In the 17th century it formed a barony named Nicolson, being in the possession of a Sir John Nicolson. Sir Archibald Primrose of Dalmeny, in Linlithgowshire, bought the estate in 1695 and obtained a charter allowing the old barony of Nicolson and any nearby lands to be known as Rosebery. He took this as his title when he was created a Viscount in 1700 (and Earl in 1703). The existing house is built on the site of the 17th century Clerkington House. Mr Heburne bought the estate in 1749, and demolished Clerkington House between 1805 and 1812. Hepburne restored the original name of Clerkington to the estate, and it was not until 1821, when Archibald John, fourth Earl of Rosebery bought the estate that the family name was used again. William Atkinson designed a gothic house for the Earl of Rosebery in 1812, however the existing building bears no resemblance to this design. Designs for classical and baronial mansions at Rosebery by Wardrop and Reid survive from the 1880s. In addition to this there is a selection of designs, dating from the 1890's by Sydney Mitchell and Wilson ranging from Renaissance revival to Arts and Crafts. None of these were fully executed, but part of the existing building closely resembles that shown in drawings 115-117 in the NMRS.
THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p51; 1st (1852) & 2nd (1892) OS Maps; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1885), Vol 6, p257; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p407; T Buxbaum, SCOTTISH GARDEN BUILDINGS: FROM FOOD TO FOLLY, (1989), p98, colour ill; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p102; NMRS Various Photographs, Drawings and Plans.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSEBERY HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 16/11/2018 10:31