Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

TEMPLE VILLAGE, OLD TEMPLE KIRK (CHURCH OF THE KNIGHTS TEMPLARS OF BALANTRODOCH) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERSLB14621

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Date Removed:
12/02/2018
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Temple
NGR
NT 31526 58720
Coordinates
331526, 658720

Removal Reason

This listing of this building will be removed as a part of the Dual Designation 2A project. It will continue to be recognised as a monument of national importance through its designation as a scheduled monument.

Description

Late 13th century. Single bay, rectangular plan church, roof no longer in place. Coursed sandstone ashlar to E and S; sandstone rubble to W; snecked sandstone rubble to N; polished dressings. Base course and string course, except to W end of church; cavetto eaves course to lateral walls. Predominantly traceried pointed arched windows; hoodmoulds with carved drip stones; chamfered reveals. Gabletted angle buttresses to E. Stone skews with gabletted skewputts to E gable.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: rebuilt in 17th century using old stone. Symmetrical; single bay; gabled. Round arched doorway to centre of ground; window in gablehead above. Carved stone cross finial to apex, restored 1984.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4 bay. Bay to outer left rebuilt in 17th century; single rectangular window opening; round arched opening to penultimate bay to left. Penultimate bay to right and bay right divided by gabletted buttress; window with carved hoodmould to each bay; flat arched door way to outer right.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical; single bay. Large window to centre; flanked by wall monument to Charles Hitchener of Stobsmills dated 1831; circular recess set in gablehead. Simple, square plan 17th century bellcote (bell now on Temple Parish Church/Shillinghill see separate listing) inscribed "V?SAC MIHM"; vertical groove from bell pull.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 5 bay. Square headed window openings to centre and outer right bays; narrow pointed arched opening to penultimate bay to right; low trefoil arched doorway recessed in pointed arch to penultimate bay to left; window to outer left flanked by remains of broad buttress to left.

INTERIOR: rubble lined. Roll moulded arches. Remains of 2 sedilia with trefoil heads to centre of S elevation; doorway flanked by piscina to right. Segmental arched late 14th century tomb recess to right of doorway of N elevation.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble boundary wall to E, N and W with predominantly rubble coping, semi circular to W of N wall. Polished ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps to E of N wall; opening towards W, and coped rubble gatepiers W of N wall.

Statement of Special Interest

SCHEDULED MONUMENT. This picturesque ruin, conserved in the early 1980's by Simpson and Brown of Edinburgh, is rich in history. Temple Village takes it's name from the Knights Templars whose Headquarters it was from the early 12th century (the first reference being in a charter of 1175-99), it only became known as such in about 1570, being originally called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land, and the Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. However, the style and details of the church, as is suggested by McWilliam (p446), suggest that it is of the late 13th or early 14th century. The incription "V?SAC MIHM" on the E gable below the bellcote seems to be a mystery. It has been suggested that it could stand for "Vienne Sacrum Militibus Johannis Hierosolymitani Mletensibus" (The Sacred Council of Vienne, to the Knights of St. John of jerusalem and Malta), or alternatively "Virgin ?des Sacra Matri Jesu Hominum Mediatoris" (Church Sacred to the Virgin, Mother of Jesus, Mediator of Men). In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, whose good work was funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.

Amended Scheduled Area 29 October 1999, No 1191.

References

Bibliography

TEMPLE KIRK SESSION RECORDS 1697-1738 & 1738-1866, (SRO: CH2/353/1, CH2/353/2); TEMPLE HERITORS MINUTE BOOK 1784-1934, (SRO HR 774/3); (SRO: HR774/1); Sir J Sinclair, THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, (1792), Vol 16, p502 503; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p51; "Temple Church", DALKEITH ADVERTISER, Thursday 31 October 1878; 1st (1852) & 2nd (1892) Edition OS Maps; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1885), Vol 6, p434; A Macpherson, "Temple Church", TRANSACTIONS OF THE EDINBURGH ARCHITECTURAL ASSOCIATION, 1, (1891), p31 33; R Aitken, "The Knights Templars in Scotland", THE SCOTTISH REVIEW, (July & October 1898), Vol XXXII, p4 6; A Reid, "Monumental Remains in Pitlochry District, and Churchyard Memorials at Moulin, Temple and Clerkington", PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIANS OF SCOTLAND, (1911 12), p418 419; J Edwards, "The Knights Templars in Scotland", TRANSACTIONS OF THE SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY, Vol IV, Part 1, (1912 1913), p37; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, (1929), p176 178, figs208 210; A Fraser, AFOOT IN MIDLOTHIAN, (1955), p13; D E Easson, MEDIEVAL RELIGIOUS HOUSES, SCOTLAND, (1957), p131; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p446 447; H Kirkland (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF MIDLOTHIAN, (1985), p206; C Aliaga-Kelly, DISCOVERY AND EXCAVATION IN SCOTLAND, (1985), p29 30; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p101; TEMPLE CHURCH PAMPHLET.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TEMPLE VILLAGE, OLD TEMPLE KIRK (CHURCH OF THE KNIGHTS TEMPLARS OF BALANTRODOCH) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 05:12