Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TEMPLE VILLAGE, TEMPLE KIRKLB14619

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
21/01/1971
Last Date Amended
18/10/1976
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Temple
NGR
NT 31521 58790
Coordinates
331521, 658790

Description

Thomas Brown of Uphall, 1832. Single storey, T plan, Tudor gothic church. Tooled coursed sandstone with stugged dressings droved to margins. Base course; moulded eaves course; diagonal corner buttresses with gabletted finials; traceried pointed arch openings with hoodmoulds and simple label-stops; chamfered reveals.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; doorway to centre of ground; 2 leaf panelled timber door; obscured by later 20th century timber conservatory; window above; square plan birdcage bellcote to apex; moulded corbels; trefoil headed arch to each elevation; weathervane finial.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3 bay; windows to each buttressed bay.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled with window to centre; carved fleur-de-lis finial to apex.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3 bay; advanced gabled bay to centre with central window; window to left and timber door to right of left return; panelled timber door to left and window to right of right return; blank flanking bay to left; single window to flanking bay to right.

Grey slate roof with lead ridge; stone skews. Coped stone gablehead stack to N. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: Polished sandstone octagonal gatepiers with pyramidal caps; decorative cast iron gates (missing in places). Tooled rubble wall with flat coping curves round from S to N.

Statement of Special Interest

Described as "The only modern building worthy of notice is the church, finished in 1832, which is very neat and commodious; and is placed on a very fine site" (NSA: p21). The church was intended to seat 500 people, and had two galleries. According to the RCAHMS Inventory the bell of the church reads "ROBERTUS . MAXWELL . ME . FECIT . EDINBURGI . FOR . THE . KIRK . OF . TEMPPLE . COME . ALL . YE/SOLI . DEO . GLORIA . ANNO . DOM . 1705". It would appear that the bell, made by Robert Maxwell of Edinburgh, originated on the Old Temple Kirk (see separate listing), and was presumably moved when the place of worship changed. The kirk was converted for domestic use in 1977.

References

Bibliography

TEMPLE HERITORS MINUTE BOOK 1784-1934, (SRO HR 774/3); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p51 & 54; 1st (1852) & 2nd (1892) Edition OS Maps; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1885), Vol 6, p434; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, (1929), p178; G Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES, (1957), p168 & 266; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p447; H Kirkland (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF MIDLOTHIAN, (1985), p210; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p101 102; NMRS: Various plans and photographs; TEMPLE CHURCH PAMPHLET.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TEMPLE VILLAGE, TEMPLE KIRK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 02:43