Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 33448 63709
333448, 663709


1873. 2-storey; 4-bay U-plan former school with rear wings. Central crenellated porch. Coursed, tooled sandstone; stugged dressings.

W (FRONT) ELEVATION: advanced central porch; mullioned bipartite window; moulded doorway in left and right returns; folding 2-leaf entrance door. Flanking single storey gabled bays with mullioned bipartite windows; extra single window to right; 1873 datestone with 'L' (Lothian) and coronet above left window. Flanking gabled 2-storey outer bays with advanced mullioned bipartite box windows; canted ashlar roof; mullioned bipartite window centred above at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: advanced central flat-roofed bay; 2 single windows. Timber panelled door to left; 4-pane fanlight; flanking windows; further single window to outer left. 3 single windows to far right. Gabled dormers at 1st floor.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: single bay wing to far right. M-gabled wing to left; snecked sandstone; 2 mullioned bipartite windows to ground floor and centred above at 1st floor; chamfered surrounds. Windows positioned off-centre. Courtyard between wings; modern fire escape staircase to upper floor to right; rooflights; gabled dormers.

S ELEVATION: single window to far left; advanced gabled bay to right; single window at ground and 1st floor and rooflight. 3 single windows to right; arched entrance with hoodmould and vousoirs; replacement door to right; mullioned bipartite window to far right. 3 single gabled dormers breaking eaves, centred above arch; flanking mullioned bipartite, gabled dormers breaking eaves.

Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevation; 4 upper and 2 lower pane timber sash and case windows elsewhere; some replacement (1990's) sash and case windows. Gabled slate roof; overhanging bracketed eaves; studded timber bargeboards to gables and dormers; corniced ridge chimneys; polygonal clay cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: geometric pattern floor tiles to porch; corniced arch and central staircase in hall; timber panelling; panelled shutters; panelled doors; cornices.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Newtongrange, 1 - 12 Lingerwood Cottages, and Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery in Cockpen Parish. Built as a school for the children of the Lingerwood Pit miners in 1873 by Lord Lothian; extended late 18th - early 19th century with N wing. It later became the Lady Victoria Colliery manager's office and is currently the office for the Scottish Mining Museum.



2nd Edition OS Map, 1907; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1978, p359; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p85.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWTONGRANGE, LADY VICTORIA COLLIERY, MANAGER'S OFFICE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/10/2019 03:31