Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 33454 63671
333454, 663671


Mid-late 19th century. Two terraces of cottages in L-plan. Single storey, 3-bay cottages; built in symmetrical mirrored pairs with 2 central canted windows; contemporary outshots to rear. Sandstone rubble; some squared dressings; harling to rear.

SW AND W (FRONT) ELEVATIONS: central door with fanlight, some with steps; window to left; advanced ashlar tripartite canted window to right; fenestration pattern continues from left cottage through each terrace. Plain stone wall to No 1 W gable; plain stone wall to No 12 S gable with evidence of removed outshot.

NW AND E (REAR) ELEVATIONS: central, adjacent outshot to each cottage; irregular fenestration and rear doors. Harled E gable to No 4; plain stone NE gable to No 5.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows; some 2-pane; many replacement windows including uPVC windows. Some rear flat-headed dormers and rooflights. Gabled grey slate roofs; piended rear outshots; lead ridges; overhanging bracketed eaves; raised skews between Nos 8 and 9. Gable stacks to end cottages; shared central ridge stacks elsewhere; some replacement stacks; clay cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1999.

BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble wall to front of cottages; rubble ridged coping stones; one metal garden gate remains.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Manager's Office, and Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery in Cockpen Parish. The cottages are built around a communal green at the front with individual gardens to rear. Lingerwood Cottages are not present on the 1st Edition OS (1854) Map. They were probably built in connection with the nearby Lingerwood Pit.



1891 map, Lady Victoria Colliery; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1907;

Coal Owners of Scotland, HOUSING OF MINERS IN SCOTLAND, 1927;

C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1978, p359; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p85.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWTONGRANGE, 1 - 12 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) LINGERWOOD COTTAGES INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/10/2019 03:55