Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NEWBYTH OLD MANSIONLB14577

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Whitekirk And Tyninghame
NGR
NT 58694 80029
Coordinates
358694, 680029

Description

Archibald Elliott, 1817. 2-storey and basement rectangular

plan Tudor, Gothic style mansion with carved wing joining

single storey and basement service court. Cullaloe ashlar,

droved, with chamfered arrises to openings hoodmoulds and

raised base course, dividing string course and battlemented

parapets. 3-stage turrets. Hoodmoulds to rectangular windows.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay, symmetrical with polygonal crenellated

angle turrets and smaller turrets flanking centre bay.

Pointed arch triple arcade at ground to centre bay and

gallery above with balustrade. Flight of steps to arcade;

doorway in arched opening with fanlight and arched windows

flanking. 3 rectangular bipartites behind gallery above.

Tripartites flanking centre bay at ground with single 1st

floor windows (with decorative cusped upper lights.

Segmentally arched basement windows. Narrow pointed arched

slits to polygonal turrets with cusped heads at ground and

1st floor; rectangular slits in upper stages above eaves.

N ELEVATION: advanced centre bay flanked by square angle

turrets, detailed as above with tall ground floor window.

3 windows flanking at each floor to right; 2 to left with

circa 1900 ground floor bay inserted between centre and left

angle turret.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical. 3 regular window bays at centre,

flanked by turrets with larger turrets to outer angles.

Canted ground floor and basement windows with crenellated

parapet, decorative cusped heads to upper panels.

E ELEVATION: 6 regular window bays with outer angle turrets.

Curved arcade of 5 rectangular openings. Doorway by house

under arcade and irregular openings. Linking to 2-stage

crenellated square tower at angle with service court

adjoining.

SERVICE COURT: segmentally arched carriageway at centre to N

flanked by single segmentally arched windows. Single storey

square raised outer angle window bays with similar windows to

N and on returns. String course and blocking course, with

parapet to outer angles. Basement driveway under bridged

recess to E.

Small-pane glazing pattern with cusped pointed arch glazing

bars to upper panels of major windows to W and to lights of

canted bays; sash and case windows. Linked polygonal stacks

with moulded coping.

INTERIOR: some original features retained after fire in 1972

during subdivision. original saloon at centre reduced to

harled courtyard. Vaulted vestibule. Decorative Gothic

chimneypieces retained in W front bedrooms and some original

woodwork. Stair balustrade brought from Edinburgh and

panelling from Clerkington House, Haddington.

GATEPIERS: 2 polygonal ashlar coped gatepiers with coped

parapet and partially remaining balustrade, sited at W of

house. Further gatepiers, by entrance to former drive, now

at distance from house property and listed separately.

Statement of Special Interest

Earlier house by William Adam was completely replaced

by Sir David Baird's commission from Elliott, though

confusion exists in Small and Groome's Gazetteer.

Walled garden, ornamental urn and stables survive from

18th century house but former lectern dovecot has

recently been demolished (1987) Elliot's design cost

$8,505. Gatepiers, East Lodge and Stables listed

separately. Dalmeny House, William Wilkins 1814-17

provided a forerunner in Tudor Gothic style in Scotland.

References

Bibliography

Alastair Rowan NEWBYTH, (unpublished) Cambridge (1963).

C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) pp350-1. William Adam,

VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS (Pl.137)

J W Small CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS (1883)

Vol.II. T Hannan, FAMOUS SCOTTISH HOUSES (1928) pp129-

132.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWBYTH OLD MANSION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/02/2024 14:35