Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 33403 66084
333403, 666084


1635. Octagonal sandstone sundial with 19th century pedestal. Octagonal base with 4 steps plus base; pedestal bears date 'A.D 1635'. 4 chimera on pedestal supporting dial-stone. Fluted base to dial-stone; fan design to underside; carved in 2 tiers; lower tier contains bronze gnomon in each panel; upper tier contains initials with coronet, Lothian sun motif with coronet, armorial panels, initials EWL (William, Earl of Lothian) and CAL (Annie, Countess of Lothian) and faces. 4 men's heads with scrolled beards above; surmounted by 4 balls and an obelisk decorated with carved foliage; and ball and needle finial above.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Newbattle Abbey, Newbattle Abbey Policies Fernery, Grotto and Ice House, Lothian Burial Ground, Maiden Bridge, Monkland Wall, South Sundial, Port Lodge, Newbattle Road and Abbey Road Wall and Gatepiers, Lamb's Nursery, Archbishop Leighton's House, 1-5 Riverside Cottages, Old Bridge, Newmills Road, Dalkeith Lodge in Dalkeith Burgh and The King's Gate in Cockpen Parish. The North sundial forms an identical pair with the South sundial, both were moved from the front of the house to the rear, mid 19th century. A Archer's ink sketch, 1834 and a colourtype, 1850 both depict a sundial surmounting a crenellated wall which extends from the N of the house and was possibly echoed at the other side. The Lothian Correspondence also mentions a sculpture court at the front of the house which the sundials may have been part of. The North sundial is enclosed on 3 sides by a yew hedge.



A Alexander, Newbattle Abbey, Ink Sketch, NMRS, 1834; Colourtype, Newbattle Abbey, NMRS, 1850; 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; D Laing (Editor), Correspondence of Sir Robert Kerr, 1st Earl of Ancrum, and his son, William, 3rd Earl of Lothian, 1875; T Ross, ANCIENT SUNDIALS OF SCOTLAND, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1890, Vol 24, p258; MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, 1892, Vol V, p472; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1907; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, 1929, Inv No 182, p145; A R Somerville, THE ANCIENT SUNDIALS OF SCOTLAND, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1987, No 117, pp233-264; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p82.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWBATTLE ABBEY POLICIES, NORTH SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 05:28