Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 33080 65897
333080, 665897


James Chirnsyde, 1697. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-bay rectangular-plan house built as coaching inn; situated close to road and opposite Newbattle Abbey entrance gates. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; modern construction to rear.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay elevation; central door; oval window above; 2 flanking windows at each floor. Roll-moulded central doorway; 6-panelled door. Small glazed port-hole to left of door.

S ELEVATION: gable recently (1990's) reworked; some replacement quoins and repair work to chimney stack. Raised channelled long and short quoins; moulded stone band course; stone carved with grapes and flowers.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: harled wall; modern, irregular fenestration with concrete surrounds including oval window at upper floor and patio doors at ground floor. Modern conservatory sits above cellar. Stone cellar, an addition to the house with vaulted ceiling and small well; access gained from inside house.

N ELEVATION: harled gable; projecting 3-tiered chimney breast to ingleneuk fireplace. Single window at ground floor to right of chimney.

Fenestration throughout replaced early 1970's. 12-pane sash and case windows to principal elevation apart from horizontally pivoted oval window. 5 rear rooflights. Roof clad in modern concrete pantiles; plain ridge; raised skews. Corniced apex stack; 3 circular clay cans to E elevation; harled corniced apex stack; single clay circular can to N. UPVC and cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: altered interior. Ingleneuk fireplace remains with vousoired arch and keystone (with some replacement stones); reworked stone back to fireplace. Plaque in fireplace bears Lothian sun, crown and crest emblems (found in river nearby and re-sited recently). Central staircase.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly The Sign of the Sun Inn which took its name from the Lothian family crest The Rising Sun; it was the first staging post for stage coaches from Edinburgh to London; the port-hole was used to take money from late night travellers before they were served. A 17th century shoe was found during renovation in the 1970's. The carved stone on the S gable is similar to one at Newbattle Abbey and may have originated there.



J Laurie, A Plan of the County of Mid-Lothian, 1763; 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1907; J C Carrick, THE ABBEY OF S. MARY NEWBOTTLE, 1907, p195; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, 1929, Inv No 183, p145; J Arnott Hamilton, THE STORY OF NEWBATTLE CHURCH AND ABBEY, 1945; NEUBOTTIL NEWBATTLE, 1980; THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, 1985, Vol XXII, p164; A Anderson, THE DEAN TAVERN, 1986; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p83;

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWBATTLE, 20 NEWBATTLE ROAD, THE OLD SUN INN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/06/2019 01:00