1781 church, originally rectangular-plan but altered earlier
19th century and 1868, Charles MacGibbon of Edinburgh,
architect; now T-plan. Coursed squared and roughly-droved
rubble with rusticated quoins, additions of stugged ashlar
and rubble. Original church 5 bays, round-headed windows at
lower level, square windows at gallery level. Low 2-bay porch
projects south east from central bay, and flanking windows
altered to single, tall, round-headed windows.
All round-headed doors and windows have pilastered jambs and
keystones. Later rectangular gallery stair projections to
north east and south west with round-headed door with
fanlight, round-headed window in outer face of each,
inscribed datestone over north east door, and rusticated
quoins. Extended earlier 19th century by 2 bays from north
west wall, narrower single bay extension beyond with door.
Eaves course, cornice and piended slate roofs. Galleried
interior and some leaded glass panels.
Statement of Special Interest
Re-set stone inscribed "Arch. Douglas of Douglas Esq, Patron,
Thos Forest of Springfield Baillie, Mr Wm. MacGibbon,
The foundation stone of this church laid upon the 29 March
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Proposed belfry designed by Rowand Anderson apparently never