Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 33110 66046
333110, 666046


1625-1645; much altered from original form and extended. Originally 2-storey house, aligned E-W, with contemporary or later crowstepped outshot to N; extended with 2 storey wing to SW in 1790 and with matching 2-storey wing to NW and internal stone staircase to create T-plan, circa 1812. Later 19th century 3rd storey added to original 17th century house. Ochre harled exterior.

W ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation; recessed central panelled 2-leaf door with fanlight; 2 single flanking windows. 1st floor window centred above door; 2 single flanking windows. Stone steps to door; boot scraper with stone surround to right and left of door.

N ELEVATION: plain gable wall to 1812 addition, single window at each floor in left return. Tall, round-headed stair window to left. Timber boarded door with 2-light letterbox fanlight; window above door to right. Advanced crowstepped bay to left; partially covered by later addition. Roll-moulded stone surround to window at 1st floor to left and at each floor in left return; narrow windows to right return.

E ELEVATION: Roll-moulded stone surround to 1st floor window to left and in right return ground floor.

S ELEVATION: glazed door with flanking lights to mirror tripartite window above to right (formerly single window with roll-moulded stone surrounds); window to left with roll-moulded stone surrounds; 1st floor mullioned tripartite window to right, 2 single windows to left; 2 single dormers breaking eaves; stone coped gabled dormerheads. Advanced bay to left; 2 ground floor windows; 2nd floor window in right return.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with painted ashlar surrounds except for some 6-pane sash and case windows with roll-moulded surrounds. Slate roof; coped gable to E; ridge and gable apex stacks; gable apex stack to advance crowstepped N gable. Piended roof with platform to W addition; gable stacks with bases to N and S. Lead ridges; polygonal clay cans; cast-iron rainwater goods with some decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: entrance hall with Victorian tiles in geometric pattern and stone dog-leg staircase; interesting fireplaces remain with grates including white marble fireplace with overmantel to Morning Room, black marble fireplace to Dining Room, timber Arts and Crafts fireplace with quotation from Leighton carved into mantelpiece; 'Permit a poor brother to preach Jesus Christ and Eternity' and fireplace with Delft tile surrounds in bedroom.

BOUNDARY WALL: tall rubble wall encloses garden runs from S corner of house along roadside with blocked doorway and swept at ends. Ashlar coping; harling to roadside.

Statement of Special Interest

Newbattle Parish Church was moved from its former site across the road at the Lothian Burial Ground to its present position in 1727. Newbattle House was probably also acquired by the Church at this time and became the manse. It is believed that Robert Leighton's library was housed in the study of Newbattle House from this time. Leighton was the Minister of Newbattle from 1641 to 1653 and later became the Principal of Edinburgh University, the Bishop of Dunblane, and in 1671 the Archbishop of Glasgow. His library is now at Dunblane Cathedral. Only the N outshot retains its 17th century form. Inscriptions were carved on lintels but are virtually erased now: above the bathroom window on the 1st floor, NE elevation of crowstepped gable EANGELIO ET POSTERIS (For the gospel and posterity). Above 1st floor study window in E gable EXPECT A DEUM TUUM (Await thy God) and above the courtyard door HABITA TECUM (Dwell with yourself). A single storey washroom block was added, 1939 along the North elevation and was removed circa 1950. A date is etched into a 3rd floor window indicating when the roof was raised (not seen, but is said to be between 1870 and 1880). Former late 19th century stables to rear, harled with slate piended roof and central breaking eaves gantry door (now used as a garage by Newbattle House and as a Sunday School hall for the Church) are not part of the Statutory List. Newbattle House was sold by the Church and became a private house in the 1950s.



J Laurie, A Plan of the County of Mid-Lothian, 1763; THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, 1794, Vol 10, p215; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, 1839, Vol 1, p73; 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUITIES OF SCOTLAND, 1862, Vol IV, p472; J C Carrick, THE ABBEY OF S. MARY NEWBOTTLE, 1907, p195; J Arnott Hamilton, THE STORY OF NEWBATTLE CHURCH AND ABBEY, 1945; NEUBOTTIL NEWBATTLE, 1980; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p80; Information courtesy of Peter Elliot, 1999.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWBATTLE, NEWBATTLE ROAD, NEWBATTLE HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/06/2019 21:34