Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

SOUTHSIDE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB14546

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Newbattle
NGR
NT 3693 6385
Coordinates
336930, 663850

Description

1640-1644; substantial later alterations. Traditional L-plan towerhouse with narrow angle turrets corbelled at 1st floor; 3 storeys, originally 4. Later additions including NE 2-storey wing to form T-plan house. Sandstone rubble; slaister pointing to original house; tooled, snecked rubble with stugged and chamfered ashlar surrounds to additions.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: partly obscured by staircase and porch additions in re-entrant angle. Single ground floor window; mullioned bipartite window at 1st floor; 2 at 2nd floor; crowstepped gableheads. Mullioned bipartite window with crowstepped gablehead at 2nd floor at right return. Gabled porch to right return; ashlar to principal elevation roll-moulded doorway; arched timber doorframe. Advanced ashlar coping to gable with skewputts. Single window in right return. Advanced 2-storey crowstepped staircase addition to left; moulded chamfer stop to quoin; roll-moulded band course forming hoodmould to window; single narrow window above. Gabled dormer breaking eaves with blank plaque above to right return. Advanced wing to outer right with 1880's tripartite box window. Various blocked openings in S gable wall. Two angle turrets to S wall; ashlar eaves course; single square window in each turret.

W ELEVATION: door to right; modern glazed conservatory; asphalt monopitch roof. Single window at 1st floor to left; 2 inscribed stones above; 'PE AC'; 'PE.AC.1640.4' (Patrick Ellis/Eleis of Plewlands and his wife); blocked window to right. Two angle turrets to gable; ashlar eaves course; single square window at 1st and 2nd floor in each turret. Crowstepped gable wallhead; apex chimney stack.

N ELEVATION: irregular ground floor fenestration. Off-centre crowstepped timpany gable; corniced double chimney stack; 2 mullioned bipartite rectangular windows at 1st and 2nd floors aligned below timpany gable. Blocked windows in right bay; blocked window slit to left bay. 2-storey, 3-bay wing to left; glazed door to left; 2 single windows to right; 3 catslide dormer windows aligned above at 1st floor. Single storey addition to far left.

E ELEVATION: raised skews to far right gable; crowstepped gable with apex chimneystack to 2-storey wing. Advanced porch to door; raised skews; single light in right return. 2 ground floor flanking windows to right; window with catslide dormer above door to right. Advanced curve of stairtower to left of porch; blocked ground floor window; corbelled storey above with 1st floor window; coped gablehead with skewputt. Mullioned bipartite window; blocked opening above to E elevation of towerhouse. Corbelled, curved protrusion of staircase to right of window; voussoirs of blocked arched opening below. Crowstepped gable wall to towerhouse; apex stack.

Varied glazing; predominantly narrow rectangular 6-pane timber sash and case windows to original towerhouse; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to additions; some interior shutters. Grey slate roof to towerhouse. Grey slate pepperpot turret roofs; lead capped; ball finials. Purple slate to additions.

INTERIOR: Marble plaque in porch bears Lothian initials and rising sun emblem, similar to plaque at Newbattle Abbey. Ground floor vaulted room to N in original towerhouse; originally 1, now partitioned into 2 rooms; large fireplace to NE; meat hooks in ceiling; splayed windows reveal thick walls.

BOUNDARY WALL: cut rubble walls; curved and ridged capping stones surround garden, adjoining field and partitions garden. Square piers; pyramidal coping stones to field entrance. 2 chamfered and panelled square piers; square bases; corniced pyramidal coping stones to driveway entrance.

Statement of Special Interest

Once part of the Newbattle Abbey estate, built or possibly altered by Patrick Ellis circa 1640 and greatly altered mid-late 19th century with the addition of the 2 storey wing, crowstepped dormers, porch, the removal of old stairs and addition of the stair tower; the repair of the turrets (which is evident in the coursed sandstone of the upper levels), the lowering of the roof level and the reduction of 4 storeys to 3. There was a well in the garden which has been covered up.

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, Lothian and Linlithquo, 1654; J Adair, A Map of Mid-Lothian, 1735; 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; MacGibbon & Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, 1887, Vol 5, p347; J C Carrick, THE ABBEY OF S. MARY NEWBATTLE, 1907, p271; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, 1929, Inv No 184, p145; N Tranter, THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND, 1962, Vol 1, p118; N Tranter, ECHO OF ROYAL TREACHERY, Scotland's Magazine, June 1965, p44; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1978, p438; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p116; NMRS Database, 1999.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTHSIDE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 09:52