Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 33215 66198
333215, 666198


17th century core; later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house with projecting 18th century polygonal stair tower and 19th century additions to rear. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; tooled, coursed and snecked sandstone rubble to later rear additions.

W (FRONT) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay elevation. Central doorway; replacement timber door; 2-pane fanlight above; flanking single windows. Catslide roof to 1st floor window centred above door; flanking coped, gabled dormer windows breaking eaves.

N ELEVATION: 2 blocked windows indicating previous floor levels;

bottle-nosed cill to original 1st floor level, possible top tread of now demolished forestair; small window at 1st floor to right. Later wing to right; ground floor mullioned window; catslide dormer window above.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: central projecting stair tower; ground floor window blocked; single window at 1st floor and in left return; single storey canted windowed extension to left; advanced 2-storey extension to right; ground floor window; steps up to rear door in right return; replacement timber door; 3-pane fanlight; small window above door at eaves.

S ELEVATION: 2 blocked windows indicating previous ground and 1st floor levels; 2 side hung windows at first floor. 19th century advanced ashlar canted tripartite window to right.

Predominantly 8-pane sash and case windows. Gabled slate roof; lead ridge; raised skews; 2 corniced gable apex stacks; 2 octagonal cans to N gable; 2 circular cans to S gable. Piended slate roof to rear extension; corniced ridge stack; 2 circular cans. Catslide and piended slate roof to canted window; swept polygonal slate roof to stair tower. Cast-iron rainwater goods and decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: remodelled interior; partially seen, 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Newbattle Abbey, Newbattle Abbey Policies Fernery, Grotto and Ice House, Lothian Burial Ground, Maiden Bridge, Monkland Wall, North and South Sundials, Port Lodge, Newbattle Road and Abbey Road Wall and Gatepiers, Lamb's Nursery, 1-5 Riverside Cottages, Old Bridge, Newmills Road, Dalkeith Lodge in Dalkeith Burgh and The King's Gate in Cockpen Parish. Robert Leighton was the Minister of Newbattle from 1641 to 1653 and later became the Principal of Edinburgh University in 1653, the Bishop of Dunblane in 1661 and the Archbishop of Glasgow in 1671. The church was situated close to the house, on the site of the Lothian Burial Ground, but was moved in 1727 to its present location across the road. No records have been found to confirm that Leighton actually lived in Archbishop Leighton's House and it is possible the house was built after his period of service in Newbattle. Originally a 3-storey house until the 19th century when the ground level was raised and the floor levels were altered. At this time the E wing and canted window were also added. The position of earlier floor levels are visible in the blocked openings on the exterior gables. During recent (1990's) restoration an 18th century doorpiece with a moulded stone surround and a studded oak door with knocker and key was found (and removed) in the SE room, and the lower storey was infilled. The outbuilding to the SE was a former wash house, stable and gig house which has been rebuilt into a garage and is not included in the Statutory List.



J Laurie, A Plan of the County of Mid-Lothian, 1763; 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1907; J C Carrick, AROUND DALKEITH AND CAMP MEG, 1912; J Arnott Hamilton, THE STORY OF NEWBATTLE CHURCH AND ABBEY, 1945; NMRS, LOTHIAN RECORD SHEET, 1992; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p83.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWBATTLE, NEWBATTLE ROAD, NEWBATTLE ABBEY GARDENS, ARCHBISHOP LEIGHTON'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/08/2019 20:38