Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 59225 76848
359225, 676848


Circa 1875. Former Manse, 2-storey L-plan house with

attic. Squared and snecked, stugged pink sandstone,

some ashlar dressings, base course, roll-moulded string

courses and eaves course, stone mullions. Yellow

stone to sides; squared whinstone rubble at rear with

yellow stugged sandstone dressings.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Broad, advanced gabled bay to outer

left, canted bipartite windows at ground with cornice,

string course; and at 1st floor, cornice and blocking

course with leaf motif in roundels. Bipartite to attic.

2-storey canted porch in re-entrant angle with cornice

and blocking course. Roll-moulded doorway with strip

fanlight. Bipartite to left at ground, 2 single lights

at 1st floor. Corbelled stair turret to left at 1st

floor in re-entrant angle of porch and wing, with slit

window, string course and bracketted cornice and

blocking course with decorative square panels.

Bipartites with stone transoms at ground and 1st floor

to right of porch. Broad gabled bay to outer right,

canted bipartite bay window at ground with cornice and

blocking course; decorative roundels as above.

Tripartite at 1st floor, hooded by moulded string

course. Decorative relief roundel by moulded string

course. Decorative relief roundel to gable head

enclosing 5 smaller quatrefoil roundels.

N ELEVATION: (rear) 2-storey with basement and attic,

4-bay. Single light to each floor of middle bays,

smaller window at centre of 1st floor. Bipartite to each

floor of outer left bay, single light to attic. Outer

right bay projecting at basement with bipartite. Splayed

at corners into canted window at ground floor with

cornice and blocking course. Bipartite at 1st floor,

single light to attic.

W ELEVATION: 3 centrally grouped bays, on sloping

ground; bipartite to 3 floors at outer left, small

single lights to basement and 1st floor at centre,

bipartites to ground and 1st floor at right. Gableheads

breaking eaves to outer bays.

E ELEVATION: moulded skews with angled skewputts to

skews of gablehead, left bay, W elevation with kneelers

and finial.

Grey slates, fish scales to conical roof of turret, lead

ridge brackets. Ashlar coped stacks with cornice and

decorative cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by Alexander Scott of Beanston, circa 1875, loaned

to the Free Church as a second Manse; no longer in use

as such. Lodge listed separately.




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SCOTSCRAIG

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 10:14