Mid-late 18th century. 3-storey meal-mill, roughly
rectangular in plan with later single storey threshing
mill abutting to W. Random rubble with stugged ashlar
N ELEVATION: entrance at ground floor, with further 1st
floor doorway above. Window to 2nd floor. Kiln to right
with small opening to centre below eaves.
S ELEVATION: noteworthy low breastshot waterwheel to
main block, measuring 426cm (outside diameter) by 150cm
(width) originally with 30 wooden paddles each 3cm
thick. Window at 1st and 2nd floor. Gabled 2-storey
single bay and single storey piend-roofed threshing mill
butt joined to W.
Red pantiles to mill, threshing mill and to steep
truncated pyramidal roof of kiln (ventilator missing).
INTERIOR: much of machinery survives; waterwheel drove
2 pairs of millstones, one for grinding, the other for
shelling. A grain bruiser, pearl barley wheel and
gearing also remain. The sack hoist is of interest;
could be operated from any floor, has a dog clutch and
automatic and manual disengaging device.
Kiln floor is 30cm below 2nd floor level of the mill;
constructed of cast-iron perforated plates. Single
bagging outlet from kiln floor to mill. Access to kiln
firebox external; internal route blocked.
Statement of Special Interest
Existing mill probably built on the site of former mill
to serve the Gilmerton estate; mill buildings appear on
Forrest map 1799. Wheel drive unusual; as is the
absence of shaking conveyors and bucket elevators.
Milling ceased by early 1940s, waterwheel pit now silted
and the lade diverted to power a generator. Mill and
accompanying cottages recently sold; proposals made for