Mid-late 18th century. Originally U-plan steading, with
later additions in 19th century (see references).
Squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar rusticated and
droved quoins. Rubble sides and rear.
Mid-late 18th century U-plan to E, courtyard now
covered, but retaining 2 unusual basket-arched cart
arches with slit loft openings above; now bricked. (See
S ELEVATION: 2 gable ends, squared sandstone, modest
Gibbs surround to large double doorways and blind arch
above, eaves course extended on gable wall.
E RANGE: granary; roughly squared sandstone with
broadly droved ashlar dressings. Round-arched doorway
to centre with fanlight; windows flanking, now blocked;
further openings to S Grey slates.
Later additions to steading to W and N circa 1825-30.
Random whinstone rubble, stugged ashlar dressings.
Cattle court and turnip shed to W, threshing mill to N.
W RANGE: circa 1860. Separated from main block by access
lane; cartshed and granary with implement shed to N.
Random rubble with stugged dressings. 5 cart arches,
doorway at each end. 3 openings to loft. Red pantiles.
STALK: corniced red brick stalk on ashlar base by
threshing mill to N of E range.
Statement of Special Interest
Wemyss and March Estate. U-plan steading appears on 1792
survey and late 18th century plans. Suggested that 18th
century ranges formerly the stable block for Beanston
House; the buildings have undergone changes in use with
alterations. Basket-arched cart arches resemble those
at Longniddry Farm, Gladsmuir, facilitating livestock
movement between courtyards; also part of the Wemyss
and March estates.