Mid 18th century, S facing 2-storey farmhouse, re-
orientated with additions as L-plan in early-mid 19th
century. White painted harling, ashlar dressings.
E ELEVATION: entrance front; steps to raised ground
floor semi-circular arched-doorway to centre with large
decorative fanlight and 4-pane side panels; flush
panelled door. Later canted bay windows flanking,
extending to basement.
Recessed 2-bay extension to right, tall windows; with
iron bars at ground.
S ELEVATION: 18th century centre block; 6-bay, door to
3rd bay from left, small windows flanking at ground,
6 windows at 1st floor. 2 taller 2-bay piend-roofed end
wings added circa 1800; 2 windows at ground floor, 2
taller windows to 1st floor. 2 windows at ground on W
re-entrant angle; entrance front to E.
N ELEVATION: irregular service additions of various
heights; irregular window pattern. Sash and case windows
with 12-pane glazing pattern.
Piend roofs, grey slates, ashlar coped wallhead and
ridge stacks; some renewed in brick.
INTERIOR: Some original woodwork and plasterwork.
Statement of Special Interest
Countess of Aberdeen sold Phantassie estate to
George Rennie in 1785. Rennie erected lime kilns soon
after. Houston Mill is also part of Phantassie estate,
where Andrew Meikle invented mechanical threshing in the
late 1780's. George Rennie's son John, born 1761 was an
apprentice at Houston Mill; later became an engineer
famous for, amongst others, Waterloo Bridge, London,
from which balusters commemorate him in the grounds of