Earlier 19th century. Single storey, 4-bay, piend-roofed Classical gate lodge with paired Classical gatepiers. Whitewashed ashlar. Base course; cornice; blocking course. Lugged, corniced window margins; projecting cills.
GATE LODGE: principal elevation to N with prostyle Tuscan portico; bay to outer left (E) slightly recessed. Single-bay E and W elevations. 2-bay extension to rear (S), single-storey towards road (E) and 2-storey towards garden (W).
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in replacement timber sash and case windows; some plate glass. Central low whitewashed coped ashlar stack. Welsh slate roof. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: 4 square-plan, whitewashed, pedimented stone gatepiers: inner pair with Roman fasces in arched panels, deep cornice, laurel wreath pediments with leaf acroteria, and short, narrow hexagonal shaft protruding above; slightly shorter, plainer outer pair with plain panels, similar cornice, flat pediments and squared acroteria. Curved perimeter walls in coped ashlar. Cast-iron outer gates with key-pattern band and arrowhead finials.
INTERIOR: (seen 2012): original room layout largely extant.
Statement of Special Interest
This is an attractive classical gate lodge with associated gatepiers at the east entrance to the Coodham estate facing the main Ayr to Glasgow road. Together, they form the only remaining formal entrance to the Coodham estate. The lodge has good classical detailing including a prominent Tuscan portico and a blocking course. The gatepiers are also finely decorated.
Coodham House was built circa 1831 for Mrs William Fairlie, who initially named it 'Williamfield' after her late husband. The gate lodge and gatepiers are likely to have been built around the same time or shortly thereafter, as the Tuscan portico on the lodge is similar to the porch of the main house.
List description updated, 2012.