Late 18th to early 19th century; probably incorporating mid 18th century fabric; later additions. 3-bay 2-storey and attic villa with 2-door semi-elliptical entrance porch, curved panelled doors; later single storey wings to L and R; raised to 2 storeys at L, conservatory to R, both 1963; 2 canted dormers with central bipartite box dormer. Base course; band course; eaves course and quoins; tabbed windows surrounds, cornices to ground floor; centrally-raised parapet. Coursed whinstone; grey polished ashlar dressings.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: some later additions.
Original timber sash and case glazing (12-pane, 15-pane to ground). Grey slates; straight skews; tall, corniced ashlar end stacks with distinctive moulded clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: classical scheme in place. 2 good chimneypieces (1 reputedly of Adam design, from Charlotte Square); dining room niches; cornicing; cantilevered stone stair with cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail.
WALLED GARDEN: rectangular structure to rear of house; random whinstone rubble with sandstone quoins and margins to openings; some lean-tos along periphery. Inscribed lintel '17 RB 43'.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: distinctive panelled ashlar carriage entrance gatepiers (2 large and 2 small, all painted) with pointed pyramidal caps, conical cartstones at base; cast-iron gates (2-leaf and 2 single gates) with lower fretwork panels, vertical spearheads above.
Statement of Special Interest
The house is thought to have been built as a dower-house for the nearby Townend House (separately listed), also of early 19th century date. The dated lintel in the walled garden was probably reused from an earlier building on the site. The former stables, adjacent to the house, were converted into a small dwelling in the 1960s. The other additions from this period, made for Sir William Coats, are in keeping with the original property. The house presents an attractive elevation and the elegant porch is probably a Regency addition made at the same time as the wings, circa 1819. The walled garden is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and is most likely contemporary with the house.