Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 30715 69917
330715, 669917


Circa 1686. Renaissance entrance gateway. Triumphal arch flanked by high classical piers. Ashlar with later random rubble walls flanking. Later stone lion.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: semi-circular archway with projecting keystone on channel jointed piers with shaped imposts; pilasters with cushioned courses, ovolo moulding on capitals with egg and dart ornamentation flanking; entablature: coursed architrave, triglyph detail on frieze, projecting banded cornice, later worn stone lion surmounting; further squared piers with corniced capitals; adjoining smaller setback pillars with cyma reversa capitals, vertical gap for original iron railings to exterior returns.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: as W elevation with less definition and ornamentation.

BOUNDARY WALL (surrounding playing fields): random rubble wall with shaped stone copes and small squared gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Woolmet House was built around two sides of a courtyard. The house had never been modernised or restored but it had to be abandoned after fissures and rents were discovered due to subterranean mine workings. It was set in its own gardens and parklands, some of which survive. Woolmet was described as being in a dilapidated condition at the beginning of the 20th century, and was given over to the National Trust in 1947. The house was demolished in 1954, although parts of the interior are now said to be in the Castle of Mey, Caithness and Northfield House, Preston. The surviving gateway now forms the entrance to Danderhall Miners' Social Club and Recreation ground. It is now a focal point for the modern community. Woolmet-Edmonstone (both names of sizeable houses now gone) used to be a village, but has become even smaller due to people moving to more modern accommodation in the Danderhall area.



Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Scotland Inventory of Midlothian and West Lothian (1929) p152, also pictures of old house in National Monument Record of Scotland, Midlothian Collection; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p 392; 3rd STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1985); J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p127.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DANDERHALL MINERS' CLUB, WOOLMET HOUSE GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/04/2024 15:49