Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MILLERHILL, NEWTON HOUSE, NEWTON DOVECOTLB14180

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Newton
NGR
NT 33279 69747
Coordinates
333279, 669747

Description

16th century. 3-stage, circular tower later converted into dovecot. Coursed rubble.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: stone entrance leading to vaulted basement, shot holes from battle or siege now blinded; outside stone stair leading to 2nd stage (access to upper stage internal).

3 blinded shot holes at basement level, gun loops on NW elevation. Later conical slate roof with metal ball and spike finial surmounting.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000; upper stages both contain 367 nest holes constructed from vertical partitions of red sandstone in 13 tiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Described as a neat mansion in 1851, the house was acquired in the early 1700's by Lord Edmonstone who was developing the local coalfields. The house has undergone many modernisations. A wing added to the rear in 1835, which was originally the front of the house. The house is listed separately, although a curtain garden wall links this dovecot tower. The dovecot has survived well intact. It is thought to have originally been a 16th century defensible tower whose upper chamber was converted to house pigeons. It still contains gun loops in the lower stage's 3 ? ft thick stone walls, whilst the upper portion has the remains of 367 nest holes. Its overall circumference is 46ft. The conical slate roof is newer.

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, LOTHIAN AN LINTQVO (1654) shows Neutoune, likely to be the dovecot tower; John Adair, A MAP OF THE LOTHIANS (1736) showing Newton House; Fullerton, THE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol II (1851) p442; Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, INVENTORY OF MIDLOTHIAN p150; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p358; 3rd Statistical Account, MIDLOTHIAN (1985) p120; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p127.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILLERHILL, NEWTON HOUSE, NEWTON DOVECOT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 10:21