16th-17th cent. mansion incorporating walls of earlier
fortalice. Trad. L-plan, main block, 3-storeys (with laigh
floors to N.) and garret. Random rubble. Gabled. Slated
Corbie-steps and buttress at W. end; skews, oculi, corner
stones at extension to E. Rusticated chimney-heads.
N. WING: 4 storeys and laigh floor. Extended in later 17th
century with skews etc. at gable end.
ADDITIONS: Built c.1780 and in 1880. In re-entrant angle
and on W. side of Wing. INTERIOR: Greatly altered. 3
contiguous vaulted chambers in older part of 1st storey
of main block; Drawing Room (Great Hall) in floor above has
pine panelling and tall windows. Kitchen and fine
scale-and-platt stair in Wing.
Statement of Special Interest
Seat of Lord Torphichen Barony of Calder has been held by
Sandilands family since c.1350.
In Great Hall in 1556, Knox openly celebrated the Reformed
Communion for the first time.