Dated 1779, early 19th century rebuild incorporating
(internally) 3-storey, 3-bay earlier warehouse. 3-storey,
7-bay; harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings. Originally
symmetrical now some window/door alterations at ground floor
north-west; regular fenestration in 1st and 2nd floors, smaller
windows with some vestiges of shutters in upper floor near
wallhead. Wide centre door, and similar door in 6th bay right
Symmetrical rear with 3 doors (1 blocked) and 3 windows above
at 1st and 2nd floors. Entrance in 1st floor of south gable,
served by forestair shared with southern warehouse. Centre 1st
floor door in north gable. Flat skews; dated skewputt at NW;
apex stone ball finials; slate roof; stone ridge.
Interior: 3-storey, 3-bay former warehouse incorporated,
including stone staircase. Wooden stairs elsewhere.
Statement of Special Interest
2 warehouses or girnals sited on quayside, both facing west.
Built by Cromarty Estate (Earls of Cromarty, Viscount(s)
Tarbat) to store grain from estates in Easter Ross. The earlier
girnal is mentioned in later 17th century Cromarty papers held
at Castle Leod. In 1798 Portmahomack consisted of "two stone
houses for reception of rents in kind and three houses". Roofs
of both warehouses are deteriorating. 1982 1793 map has
drawing of 3-storey, 3-bay warehouse, named as such.