Thomas Telford, 1827; standard Parliamentary T-plan Church.
Harled with tooled ashlar margins and dressings. 4-bay south
elevation with depressed arched entrances in outer bays
(blocked at east) and 2 similar headed windows in centre;
similar windows light end gables and rear wing; cast-iron
Y-tracery and lattice-pane glazing. Birdcage bellcote, with
later cast-iron weathervane, at west gable.
Simple drystone walled enclosure.
Interior; re-cast; entrance vestibule in west end; rear wing
partitioned to form room. Octagonal cusped panelled pulpit
under east window with simple backboard; plain pews.
Carved memorial within vestibule by John Nicolson of Nybster
with roundel depicting Sir Francis Tress Barry of Keiss
Castle, died 1907.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Quoad Sacra parish of
Keiss formed in 1833 out of parts of parishes of Wick and
Canisbay. John Nicolson a sculptor of local repute; memorial
of Sir Francis Tress Barry formerly stood at Keiss Castle.