Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
ND 35284 54669
335284, 954669


Late 15th/early 16th century tall rectangular 5-storey tower

with 1851-52 cap-house by David Bryce, early 18th century

4-storey wing to rear; further additions and remodelling,

David Bryce, 1851-52. All rubble, ashlar dressings. Main

front faces SW with original central tower dominating the

group; off-centre round-headed entrance with cable moulded

decoration (1851-52); regular fenestration, corbelled

crenellated bartizans, square stair turret with pyramidal

roof at NW and (1851-52) cap-house with paired gabletted

dormers and coped end stacks; crenellated wallhead and cannon

water spouts.

Large 18th century Y-tracery window in 2nd floor of SE elevation

of tower. 4-storey rear addition (overlooking sea to NE)

projects as wide crowstepped gable with centre projecting

corbelled mural stair at 2nd and 3rd storey height. Square

angle, decoratively corbelled and gabled bartizans at 3rd

storey; crowsteps and apex stack.

To left and right of main front, 2-storey David Bryce

extensions; to right (SE) 2-storey gabled group, with

corbelled angle turret at 1st floor with conical roof, canted

window rising full height into corbelled gablet and

tripartite in 1st floor of main gabled front. To left (NW)

extended low 2-storey range with flat roofs and crenellated

wallhead; angle drum tower with entrance at base and slit

vents. Varied glazing patterns; rainwater goods dated 1852.

crowsteps; coped stacks: Mainly slate roofs, some modern

tiling. Interior; entrance into vaulted ground floor through

doorway with doors with ornate cast-iron hinges and fittings;

1851-2 Baronial oak staircase with pendant newels leads to

1st floor landing and to former great hall, converted to

dining room in 1851 with all decoration from that date; oak

panelling doors and doorpieces; compartmented barrel vaulted

plaster ceiling with decoration and pendants; bolection

moulded chimney pieces at both ends, that to SE in recess

with mural gallery above. SE wing contains 1st floor large

and small drawing rooms, the former overlooking sea to north

and the latter, the larger, to the park. Marble chimney

pieces in both; decorative plaster ceiling friezes. Simple

staircase and mural wheelstair to upper floors and caphouse.

Various mid-19th century cast-iron grates; Garden wall;

crenellated walls divide park from sea, stretching to right

and left of mansion, to left linking service wing with walled

garden and long low stable and carriage house range. Small

square sundial on shaped plinth.

Stable range; David Bryce; 1851-52. Extensive single storey

and attic range with centre court entered through archway

with crenellated overthrow. All rubble with tooled dressings, crowstepped gables, end and ridge stacks. Largely devoid of

original fittings.

Statement of Special Interest

Lands of Ackergill belonged to Cheynes family, and passed

through female line to Keiths of Inveruguie (Aberdeenshire)

circa 1350. Mention of castle by 1538. Acquired by Dunbars of

Hempriggs in 1699, in which family it still remains.




OF SCOTLAND, iii, (1889) pp.250-53.

RCAHMS INVENTORY, (1911) pp.136-37, illustrated.

Donald Omand (ed.) THE CAITHNESS BOOK (1972) pp.157-8.

Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan, MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876

(exhibition catalogue, 1976) p.112.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ACKERGILL TOWER, GARDEN WALLS, WALLED GARDENS AND STABLE RANGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/06/2024 01:13