Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ARDTORNISH ESTATE KINLOCHALINE CASTLELB13960

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Morvern
NGR
NM 69757 47639
Coordinates
169757, 747639

Description

Probably 15th century, remodelled in late 16th or early 17th

century, extensively restored, 1890, Alexander Ross,

Inverness.

Tall square castle, 2-storeys over vaulted undercroft. Rubble

with tooled ashlar dressings. Raised ground floor entrance in

south wall approached by (1890) forestair; over door a small

carved stone plaque with cable moulded border, carved stag

pursued by hound, with fish below. Corbelled wallhead with

corbelled bartizan turrets at SE and SW, and with

box-machiolation (of 15th century date but re-built in 1890

restoration) above doorway; restored gun loops. Some enlarged

windows (1890).

Interior; large fireplace in north wall of 1st floor hall

with carved stone plaque above lintel depicting figure of

kneeling woman holding disk or bowl in right hand and flask

under left arm, with beehive shaped object (pitcher?) in top

left corner. Newel stair of 17th century date leads to 2nd

and further stair to wallhead.

Statement of Special Interest

Probably built in 15th century by one of the MacLeans of

Duart. Captured in 1644 by detachment of 400 men from

Royalist army led by Alasdair MacDonald, who supported

Montrose. Purchased in 1730 by Sir Alexander Murray of

Stanhope, but not used as dwelling.

Badly cracked and in very poor condition when purchased with

Ardtornish estate by T V Smith, and restored in 1890.

Commanding position on rocky ridge above Loch Aline.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE

OF SCOTLAND, iii (1989) pp. 167-9.

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of

Scotland, ARGYLL, iii (1980), pp. 2-5-8. Philip Gaskell,

MORVERN TRANSFORMED (1968, 2nd ed. 1980) p.167.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDTORNISH ESTATE KINLOCHALINE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 09:00