Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

INVERUGIE CASTLELB13893

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/04/1971
Date Removed:
13/03/2017
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
St Fergus
NGR
NK 10216 48302
Coordinates
410216, 848302

Removal Reason

Delist to remove dual designation (monument will remain scheduled) For RoH etc. see 300018469

Description

Ruin comprising tower house with 2 courtyards, to W. and N.W.

TOWERHOUSE early 17th century, originally 4-storey rubble-built

with circular towers N.E. and S.E., stair turret on W. Blown up

1899, only stump remains; COURTYARDS:- 2-storey S. range of the

S. court and inner gate fairly complete but roofless, outer gate

of 1670 (see C. & D. Arch and Giles) removed; range between N.

& S. courts very ruined, E. wing of N. court overgrown; N.

building of N. court now cottage 2-storey 2-window harled and whitewashed, ground floor windows recently enlarged and roof now shingled.

Statement of Special Interest

Scheduled Monument. Built by George 5th Earl Marischal (d.1623).

The works were continued Earl William Marischal (succ.1635,

d.1671). Confiscated 1745. Purchased by Fergusons of Pitfour

1764. Subsequently repaired and observatory added after 1795

by James Ferguson M.P. of Pitfour (d. 1820) but dismantled by

Admiral Ferguson prior to 1837. There are the remains of an

outbuilding of the castle in Castlebrae grounds.

References

Bibliography

O.S.A. v 15 p.134 main part in ruins, courtyards part granary

and part brewery N.S.A. v 12 p.195 3 S.A. p.302. C & D Arch v

II p.324-328.

Leith-Hay Castles of Aberdeenshire pp 87-99; Giles pl. XXXIII,

XXXIV and XXXV. All show the castle prior to the 1899 explosion.

See also National Library Tour in the East of Scotland by

James Bailey 1787 MSS 3294-5-1 sketch.

The wall with sculptured cope and the outer gate shown in the illustrations above have been removed.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERUGIE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2020 07:38